The Ommin harness was a mechanical spine worn by frail individuals to provide support and maneuverability. The device existed in ancient times, as the Sith king Ommin reportedly wore one. During the New Republic Era and the subsequent First Order/Resistance War, the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious wore an Ommin harness within his fortress on Exegol due to his decaying physical body.
After his defeat over Endor in 4 ABY, the Dark Lord of the Sith and Galactic Emperor Darth Sidious transferred his consciousness into a clone body on Exegol to survive. However, Sidious' immense power caused the body to deteriorate, eventually prompting the Sith Lord to wear an Ommin harness in support of his decrepit form.
In 35 ABY, Sidious wore the harness during his residence within the Sith Citadel on Exegol. During the Battle of Exegol, Sidious drained the Force energy of Ben Solo and Rey's dyad, restoring his physical form. As such, he subsequently dismounted from the Ommin harness, and was killed shortly after by Rey.
Behind the scenes
The Ommin harness was reintroduced into the new Star Wars canon, albeit unnamed, in the 2019 sequel trilogy film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, written by Chris Terrio and J.J. Abrams. It was subsequently identified in the accompanying novelization, authored by Rae Carson and released in 2020.
Ommin's mechanical exoskeleton was originally introduced in the Star Wars Legends continuity in the first issue of the comic series Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi — The Freedon Nadd Uprising, written by Tom Veitch, illustrated by Tony Akins, and published by Dark Horse Comics on August 2, 1994.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Indirect mention only) (DLC)
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 4
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition (First identified as Ommin harness, simultaneous with Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- The Rise of Skywalker Golden Book
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Screen Comix
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Studio Fun International
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Graphic Novel Adaptation
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- "Emperor Palpatine" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker as taking place one year after the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker must take place in 35 ABY.
- Tales of the Jedi: The Freedon Nadd Uprising