Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
Ongree were an amphibious sentient species characterized by yellowish or brownish skin and elongated, tapering heads. Two flexible eyestalks protruded from either side of an Ongree's head, allowing them to see an object from many angles.
Their lipless mouths were located above four nostrils and their other facial features, giving them an "upside-down" facial appearance. They possessed two thick fingers and an opposable thumb on each hand. Despite the apparent lack of dexterity inherent in their makeup, Ongree were nevertheless able to hold even small objects with ease. Their natural agility was belied by their humpbacked, awkward appearance.
Society and culture[edit | edit source]
Ongree were commonly seen as a diplomatic, measured species. This opinion was fostered by the arrangement of their eyestalks; since Ongree could see an object from multiple angles, it was thought that this ability gave the species a unique mindset, allowing them to examine a situation from all possible perspectives. It was believed that their literal and figurative outlooks were linked by a psychological trait.
Due to their unique psychologies, many members of the species were adept negotiators, diplomats, and politicians, though this characteristic was also exploited for less wholesome activities, and some were known to consort with crime lords and gangsters.
Ongree in the galaxy[edit | edit source]
During the Cold War, there was a cult of Ongree who worshipped Revan on Nar Shaddaa, one of whom was Azraj-Nug. Circa 22 BBY, two Ongree, Pablo-Jill and Coleman Kcaj, ascended to the rank of Jedi Master within the Jedi Order; Kcaj was also one of the last members of the Jedi Council before their downfall. During this same period, Acros-Krik was mayor of the Uscru Entertainment District on Coruscant, and was heavily involved in criminal activities. Jiyan Dar was a commander in the Galactic Republic and participated in the Galactic War.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- The Old Republic, Blood of the Empire Act 1: Shades of the Sith
- Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- The Clone Wars: Deadly Hands of Shon-Ju
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Conspiracy" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part I"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Tag & Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace (Non-canonical appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous"—Star Wars Insider 86
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Supernatural Encounters: The Trial and Transformation of Arhul Hextrophon (Cancelled novella)