- "To walk the path of the Jedi, one's spirit must be strong. That requires discipline."
- ―Oppo Rancisis
Oppo Rancisis was a Thisspiasian male Jedi Master who served on the Jedi Council during the Invasion of Naboo and the Clone Wars. He was known to be one of the wisest members of the Council, and was a survivor of the initial Great Jedi Purge.
Born on Thisspias to royal heritage, Oppo Rancisis joined the Jedi Order during the final years of the Galactic Republic as an infant, and he came to train under the Jedi Master Yaddle. At some point Rancisis could have been the monarch of Thisspias, but declined it and chose to walk the path of the Jedi instead. Eventually, Rancisis was made a Jedi Master, and he took a seat in the Jedi High Council, the governing body of the Jedi Order, serving as one of its oldest members.
Shortly before the Battle of Naboo, Rancisis was present in the Council Chamber of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant when Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn came before the Council with news that the Sith, the ancient enemies of the Jedi Order, had resurfaced. He later observed Jedi Master Mace Windu evaluate the Force abilities of Anakin Skywalker, a nine-year-old boy from the planet Tatooine whom Jinn had discovered to be Force-sensitive and believed to be the Chosen One, a being who was prophesied to bring balance to the Force. Although the child was strong in the Force, the Council denied Skywalker entrance into the Order as they found his deep emotional attachments troubling and believed that he was too old for training. Rancisis saw a threat to the Order in the form of Skywalker. The Council reversed their decision, however, after Jinn was slain by the Sith Lord Darth Maul on Naboo, allowing Skywalker to become the Padawan of Jinn's former apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi, per Jinn's dying wish.
Rancisis still served on the Council ten years after the invasion of Naboo. During this time thousands of star systems joined a secessionist movement who wanted independence from the Galactic Republic. The council feared that if a pan-galactic war to break out they wouldn't have enough manpower to defend the Republic from the Separatist threat. Around this time the life of Senator Padmé Amidala was threatened by an assassination attempt, causing the Council to assign Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker as protection for the Senator. This eventually lead to Obi-Wan discovering that a Clone army was being manufactured in secret on the world of Kamino at the request of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, who had perished some years prior. Rancisis was present on Coruscant when the Council was brought this news, troubled by this information the council sent Obi-Wan to Geonosis to track down the bounty hunter Jango Fett, who was the man responsible for the attempts on Amidala's life as well as providing the genetic template for the clone Army. This request ultimately lead to the beginning of the pan-galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars, as the Separatist army and the new Grand Army of the Republic fought each other in what would become known as the first battle of Geonosis.
Shortly after the outbreak of the Clone Wars Rancisis was present in a council meeting briefing Master Windu on a task they had for the esteemed master. Scouts had discovered that the Separatist Alliance had occupied the Outer Rim world of Hissrich. The council feared that the Confederacy were attempting to utilize the backwater planet as a staging ground to assault neighboring systems. In order to discern the threat level of the occupation the Council tasked Master Windu alongside Master Fisto, Master Dibs and Knight Mano to run a covert information seeking mission on the threat.
Supreme Chancellor Palpatine informed the Jedi High Council of Queen Julia of Bardotta's request for Jar Jar Binks to assist her after the disappearance of Dagoyan Masters. Oppo, and the rest of the council discussed the matter and Mace Windu volunteered to accompany Binks.
Reinvestigation of Sifo DyasEdit
Rancisis was present when Plo Koon revealed that he found the lightsaber of Sifo-Dyas. Yoda confirmed that it was, and decided they needed to investigate. While on a mission to uncover the death of Master Sifo-Dyas who ordered the creation of the clone army, Rancisis was present when Kenobi and Skywalker reported that Count Dooku was behind with the creation of the clone army. The Council kept it a secret out of concern for how it could affect public support for the Republic.
Voice from the deadEdit
Rancisis was present when Grand Master Yoda claimed to hear the voice of a long-dead Qui-Gon. Rancisis along with the other members of the Council participated in meditation in order to see if the Masters could sense Jinn's presence.
Towards the end of the war, Rancisis was present when Kenobi told the Council that Sugi arms dealers were attempting to sell an enormous kyber crystal to General Grievous on Utapau. When Kenobi and Skywalker reported to the Council after the destruction of the crystal, Yoda recalled stories of when the Jedi and Sith fought for control of the galaxy using weapons powered by kyber crystals.
Siege of SaleucamiEdit
Surviving the Jedi PurgeEdit
- "This is a list of the surviving Jedi. Others may remain, but of these we are certain. Unfortunately… they have hidden themselves extremely well."
- ―The Grand Inquisitor
At the end of the Clone Wars, the clone troopers turned on the Jedi Order by command of the Supreme Chancellor. While a large majority of the Jedi Order was wiped out in this initial attack, some Jedi were able to escape the servants of the newly formed Galactic Empire. After the hunt for Eeth Koth, Rancisis was on a list of known survivors of the purge compiled by the Jedi hunters known as the Inquisitorius, having hidden himself from the Empire extremely well.
Personality and traitsEdit
Measuring 1.38 meters, Oppo Rancisis had white hair, blue eyes, and green skin. He also had a snakelike physiology, moving on a long tail similar to the serpents. Rancisis was one of the wisest masters on the Jedi High Council, considered a font of wisdom and careful contemplation, he saw the threat that Anakin Skywalker could prove to the Order.
Behind the scenesEdit
Oppo Rancisis made his first canonical appearance in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace as a background character with no speaking lines and was designed by storyboard artist Benton Jewy. Oppo was seen again in the 2002 film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones again as a background character on the Jedi High Council without any speaking lines.
Rancisis was set to make several other appearances in Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series before its cancellation. One such appearance was seen in the Sixth season and the other was in the Legacy project. He had no speaking lines and would have had his lightsaber visible in the latter appearance.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Jedi of the Republic – Mace Windu 1
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part I"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Dark Disciple (Appears in hologram)
- Dark Disciple audiobook (Appears in hologram)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 19 (Mentioned only; in hologram)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Oppo Rancisis (★★★) (link))
- Journey Through Space
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8
- ↑ Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Oppo Rancisis (★★★) (link))
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Jedi of the Republic – Mace Windu 1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Disappeared, Part I"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 19