The Order of Battle was the formal organization of troops within a military force, the combination of formations on different levels which came together to form the fighting machine.
The term was particularly associated with ground troops, and most specifically, it referred to the order of battle of the Grand Army of the Republic and the subsequent Imperial Army, initially known as the OrBat in the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars and then as the OB in the Galactic Empire during the Galactic Civil War.
The Order of Battle of the Imperial Navy recognized five fleet formations, including line, squadron, systems force, fleet, and sector group. The composition of the Navy Order of Battle was under the purview of the Flight Branch. A similar Order of Battle was utilized among the Stormtrooper Corps.
Example from the Grand Army of the RepublicEdit
- Galactic Republic
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Imperial Sourcebook (First appearance)
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles, Second Edition
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide