Biology and appearance
Sturdy quadruped reptiles, orrays were natives of the deserts of Geonosis, and were distinguished by their long snouts and tails. Those orrays which were tamed by the Geonosians had their tails removed, and replaced by metal caps to cover their stumps. Standing at two meters high and three meters long, orrays were known and utilized for their strength, which along with their hardiness made them ideal mounts. Orrays used their long snouts to dig into nests and used their teeth to crush eggs.
Many orrays were tamed and domesticated by the Geonosians, who used them for a variety of purposes, including as mounts and beasts of burden. Because of their strength, orrays were made to haul heavy loads. Orrays working in the Geonosian Petranaki Arena had their tails removed and the stumps covered by a metal cap. These orrays were used as mounts for the picadors, who used their stun poles to zap rowdy audience members, or to pull the execution carts carrying prisoners into the arena. They were equipped with saddles for Geonosian drones to ride.
Behind the scenes
Early designs of the orray created for Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones gave the creature a more aggressive and menacing appearance, but these traits were instead adapted to the massiff on Tatooine, which itself was derived from a concept for the orray. The orray has been described as a cross between an alligator and a horse.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel audiobook
- Darth Vader (2020) 2 (In flashback(s))
- Ultimate Factivity Collection: Star Wars (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Orray)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 12 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Geonosians)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: The Galactic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars Day-at-a-Time Calendar 2021