- "Ortolan secretions are quite distinctive."
- ―Inspector Thanoth
Ortolans were a sentient species of squat, blue-skinned bipeds with large, floppy ears, beady black eyes, and a trunk-like nose that were native to the cold planet Orto. They consumed large amounts of food in order to develop a warm layer of blubber due to the frigid temperatures of their homeworld. Max Rebo, founder of the Max Rebo Band, was a male Ortolan.
Biology and appearance
Ortolans were a sentient species of squat, blue-skinned bipeds with trunk-like noses and two beady black eyes. They also possessed small mouths filled with blunted teeth behind their noses and a pair of large, floppy ears, which were sensitive to sound and used to store fat. Ortolans fended off the cold of their icey and snowy habitat by eating their way to a blubbery body. Their articulated digits were able to absorb food and drink as well as play musical instruments. According to Inspector Thanoth, their secretions were "quite distinctive." Ortolans were capable of speaking Galactic Basic Standard and their average lifespan was 71+ years.
Behind the scenes
In Star Wars canon, Ortolans have been primarily depicted as having two limbs rather than the four limbs seen in most Legends material. In a post on StarWars.com detailing behind the scenes for Star Wars: Resistance "The High Tower", an Ortolan doll matching the Legends depiction is described as, "an Ortolan doll (with extra limbs)".
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "A Hero Discovered"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Mines of Graballa" (Appears in hologram)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (In flashback(s))
- A Vader Family Sithmas
- The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special
- LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation (In flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga