- "Ex-squeeze me, but da most safest place t'would be Gunga city. 'Tis where I grew up. 'Tis a hidden city."
- ―Jar Jar Binks
Otoh Gunga, also known as simply Gungan City or Gunga City, was a Gungan city located beneath the surface of Lake Paonga on the planet of Naboo. Its bubble-like buildings were in fact hydrostatic force fields that contained breathable atmospheres for their occupiers, and had special portals that allowed its inhabitants to enter and exit. Since the Gungans actually grew the building material of their cities from the natural plasma of Naboo and bubble wort extract, the structure of Otoh Gunga was a hub and spoke network. The city notably housed the High Council, which ruled over the Gungans from the High Board Room. The city was originally built by the Gungans in order to avoid contact with their surface-dwelling Naboo neighbors. When the Trade Federation invaded Naboo, their armies stormed the swamps, forcing the Gungans to abandon Otoh Gunga.
Following the Naboo invasions during the Galactic Civil War, the New Republic starfighter pilot Yendor invited his fellow Corona Squadron mates to dine in Otoh Gunga. The city's residents were said to be able to produce a dessert that took at least four hominids to consume. This dessert was said to deliver one into a straight sugar coma. However, one of the pilots, Thane Kyrell, elected not to join his mates because he was still mourning the loss of his former Imperial Academy classmate Ciena Ree, whom he believed had perished during the Battle of Endor.
Behind the scenesEdit
Otoh Gunga first appeared in the 1999 film Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. According to early storyboards of the film, Otoh Gunga was meant to be wiped out along with the Gungans prior to the Battle of Naboo. However, as genocide was judged to be too dark for the film, the story was adjusted.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- "Raiders of the Lost Gundark"—Star Wars Adventures 18
- Queen's Shadow (Mentioned only)
- Queen's Shadow audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Gungan Attack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow Warrior"
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Indirect mention only)
- Journey Through Space (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Star Pilot
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
- ; images #2, 19 (of 29)