- "It's unlikely that you'll run into any trouble—this planet is at the back end of the galaxy. Still…you never know."
- ―Leia Organa, to Poe Dameron
Ovanis was a planet in the Outer Rim Territories on which the followers of a religion known as the Crèche dwelled. They lived inside a series of caverns, within which they protected a giant egg that they believed would one day hatch a savior who would bring salvation to the galaxy. General Leia Organa of the Resistance sent Commander Poe Dameron and Black Squadron to Ovanis as part of their search for the galactic explorer Lor San Tekka, who once spent two years living with the Crèche. The planet was later the site of a skirmish between the Resistance and the First Order, whose presence awoke two giant winged creatures.
Ovanis was a mountainous planet in the Outer Rim Territories that had little flat land, making it difficult for starships to land. It was home to a religion called the Crèche, whose adherents dwelled in the Cave of the Crèche. They worshiped a giant egg that they believed would one day hatch a savior who would bring salvation to the galaxy. The planet was home to a giant winged humanoid species.
For generations, the planet Ovanis was home to the Crèche religion, whose adherents worshiped a giant blue egg, which they believed housed a savior that would bring salvation and reward them for their services. The cult was led by a female elder, who was familiar with the explorer Lor San Tekka. At some point, Tekka visited the Crèche and spent two seasons with them. He learned their ways and communicated with the "savior unborn."
Following Operation: Sabre Strike, the Resistance starfighter pilot Poe Dameron and his Black Squadron visited Ovanis. They had been dispatched by General Leia Organa to search for Tekka, whom Organa believed held the key to finding her brother, Luke Skywalker. Poe's presence attracted the interest of the First Order, who dispatched Agent Terex to recover the information that Poe had obtained from Senator Erudo Ro-Kiintor.
While Dameron confronted Terex, his Black Squadron pilots battled Terex's TIE/fo space superiority fighters in the skies and canyons of Ovanis. Terex's flametroopers torched the Crèche egg with their flamethrowers, releasing a giant blue winged creature which attacked the Crèche and the First Order forces. The blue winged creature was eventually killed by a black winged creature, which the Crèche regarded as their savior. The Crèche cultists departed on the back of the black winged creature. Dameron and Black Squadron later departed Ovanis after refueling and radioed Terex's Maxima-A class heavy cruiser Ravenous to pick up Terex and his surviving men, unwilling to provoke a war between the First Order and the New Republic.
Behind the scenes
- Poe Dameron 1 (First appearance)
- Poe Dameron 2
- Poe Dameron 3
- Poe Dameron 5 (Mentioned only) (First identified as Ovanis)
- Poe Dameron 8 (In flashback(s))
- Poe Dameron 11 (In flashback(s))
- Poe Dameron 12 (Mentioned only)
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 50 (Highlights of the Saga: The Search for Lor San Tekka)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 74 (Highlights of the Saga: Oddy Muva's Revenge)
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 32 (Starfighter Aces: Jessika Pava – Always in Control)
- "Republic, Rebel, and Resistance Starfighters" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "BB-8 and Other Astromech Droids" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Timelines