The PLX-2M portable missile launcher, sometimes referred to as the Plex-Twoem, or Plex, was a missile launcher produced by Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc. and based on their earlier PLX-1 model. The sheer explosive power of the PLX-2M made it dangerous to fire blindly in close quarters, but was extremely effective when used as a 'smart' tracking weapon. Once locked on to a target, the PLX-2M's missiles had a range of 50 kilometers.
The PLX-2M had a magazine of six Arakyd Industries 3t3 missiles, and included a miniature repulsorlift generator to aid in carrying the heavy weapon. Other missiles were sometimes used, including armor piercing anti-vehicle shells, explosive "bunker busters", gas delivery systems, and GAM guided missiles.
This weapon also included a holographic heads-up display that gave the user information about his or her target, including its speed, range, and what defensive shields it had. This weapon had two "smart" missile firing modes. In one mode, the missile acted as a heat-seeker. In the other mode, the missiles homed in on the gravity distortion fields created by repulsorlift engines. The PLX-2M could also be dumbfired to avoid hitting friendly vehicles. Despite its complexity, the PLX-2M could be assembled and ready for battle in less than a minute, and, because of of the microrepulsorlifts, could be carried over almost any terrain and could be easily mounted and fired from the shoulder. It was popular with infantry attacks against tanks and small fighters.
It first started as a Grand Army of the Republic prototype to replace the PLX-1 portable missile launcher and was used by some Republic commandos. With the formation of the Galactic Empire the weapon would be utilized by the Imperial equivalent of the ARC troopers, the Imperial shock troopers.
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact (As prototype)
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- X-Wing: Isard's Revenge (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Star Wars: Imperial Academy
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 X-Wing: Isard's Revenge
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- ↑ Imperial Sourcebook (Second Edition)
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- ↑ Republic Commando: Hard Contact
- ↑ Star Wars: Empire at War
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology