These creatures were large, had tan skin, red eyes, and a horn on the top of their head. They were often used as a way of travel on Panna, and were noted for their large appetite, satiated by a long and yellow prehensile tongue.
The greatest distinction between this species and the seemingly genetically related "Panna dragon" were their eyes. The ichthyodont had red eyes with large pupils positioned at the sides of their heads, while Panna dragons had white eyes with small pupils, and were positioned in the front of their head.
In 0 BBY, the notorious bounty hunter named Boba Fett used an ichthyodont to navigate the Mud Moon to find Luke Skywalker and gain his trust so Skywalker would bring him to the new Rebel Alliance's base on Darth Vader's orders.
Behind the scenes
This creature was first named on the "Holiday Special Boba Fett Character Key" from Acme Archives.
Living in the same ecosystem as the ichthyodont and Panna dragon was a smaller and paler beast that shared a strong resemblance to the ichthyodont. Its anatomy didn't seem vastly different, it may have simply been a younger member of the same species, or a different gender than the creature ridden by Boba Fett.
"Ichthyodont" means "fish-tooth" in Ancient Greek.
- The Story of the Faithful Wookiee (First appearance)
- "The Star Wars Holiday Special"—Star Wars Insider 23
- "A Long Time Ago...."—Star Wars Insider 104
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Classic Moment"—Star Wars Insider 106
- "I Have a Bad Feeling About This!"—Star Wars Insider 106 (Indirect mention only)