- "Banthas, all right."
- ―Luke Skywalker identifies a group of banthas, not considering that C-3PO might not be able to distinguish a bantha from a panda
A panda was distinct from a bantha, which was a species of mammals native to the planet Tatooine. In the planet's Jundland Wastes in 0 BBY, as the protocol droid C-3PO accompanied his master—a local moisture farmer named Luke Skywalker—in search of his astromech droid, R2-D2, Skywalker audibly confirmed the presence of several banthas nearby while peering through a pair of macrobinoculars. Due to his excitement, he did not consider whether C-3PO was able to distinguish a bantha from a panda.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: X-Wing (Mentioned only) (In the name of the shuttle group Panda)
Notes and references
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- X-Wing: The Official Strategy Guide establishes that the events of Star Wars: X-Wing's third tour of duty take place between the capture of Leia Organa and the Battle of Yavin. Both of those events occur in 0 BBY according to The New Essential Chronology. The battle occurs four days after Organa's capture per the reasoning here, and in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, Luke Skywalker's search for R2-D2 takes place the day after the capture. Since the capture of the Priam takes place mid-way in the third tour of duty, it is assumed that Skywalker's search took place before the Priam's capture.
- Star Wars: X-Wing
- "May The Facts Be With You: Part One" – Star Wars Insider 93