- "[The Gungans] offered me a tall glass of this swampy swill, filled with all sorts of seeds skimmed off the surface of the lake. I didn't wanna risk insultin' my hosts any further, so I reluctantly guzzled it down. To my surprise, the perfect blend of bright flavors and strange textures in this green grog had me wishin' I'd run afoul of the Gungans years sooner."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Paonga Fresca was a green-colored beverage made by Gungans, the native sentient species of the planet Naboo. It was made with seeds from the surface of Lake Paonga, which housed their underwater city Otoh Gunga.
When Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs failed to secure the Gungan Boss's permission before fishing for yobshrimp, Gungans captured him and took him to Otoh Gunga. After establishing that the chef was not a threat, they offered him a refreshment. Although Tuggs found the Paonga Fresca's appearance unappealingly swamp-like, he drank it to avoid causing further offense and was pleased with its unexpected flavor and texture.
In 34 ABY, Tuggs wrote and published its recipe in The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook. He topped it with green hemispheres and twisted maroon garnishes, and served it at his mobile restaurant, Tuggs' Grub, which operated out of a modified transport that he often brought to Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu.
Behind the scenes
Paonga Fresca was introduced in the 2019 recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was written by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak. The out-of-universe ingredients for the drink are water, limeade, chia seeds, spirulina powder, and matcha tea powder.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.