- "You have to hold on more tightly."
"But you are a delicate child—my grip will harm you. And I don't want to jumble my papers."
"Falling off the bike will do a lot worse than that."
- ―Merei Spanjaf and Holshef
Paper was a material on which documents could be written or printed. By the time of the Galactic Empire, the existence of books with ink printed on paper was relatively rare in the galaxy. By the time of the First Order/Resistance War, paper was considered a primitive material.
Around 231 BBY, Xylan Graf of the wealthy and esteemed Graf family, delivered a message to Sylvestri Yarrow on paper. Yarrow thought that Graf was showing off his wealth by using paper to deliver the message
Agent Kallus of the Imperial Security Bureau was surprised to observe such books on the bookshelves of Captain Zataire on the Lawbringer. Holshef, an elderly human male poet, wrote his poems on paper. During his time in hiding from the Galactic Empire for his rebellious artistic expressions, he accumulated massive piles of papers of his poetry. He was later forced to flee with only a week's worth of writings. During a wild chase on a jumpspeeder, many of these blew away and one of them blinded a bounty hunter that was chasing him and Merei Spanjaf, resulting in a fatal accident.
When Leia Organa and her retinue investigated the Ryloth archives in Lessu, they were dismayed to learn that the material in the archives was all either written or printed on paper, tanned hides, wooden tablets or rolls, feeling as if they were in the days of the Old Republic.
Notes and references
- The Rebellion Begins
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- The Star Wars Book dates the launch of the Starlight Beacon to 232 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 232 BBY in the dating system used by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As The High Republic: The Rising Storm takes place nearly a year after The High Republic: Light of the Jedi, which depicts the launch, its events, including the Valo Fair, must occur around 231 BBY. As "The High Republic: Out of the Shadows" takes place in the same year as the Valo fair, it also must occur around 231 BBY.
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy