A particle beam was a form of projectile that utilized coherent particles of energy that could be fired from a particle beam blaster or particle cannon turret. The beam, usually a pale yellow bolt, differed from a normal particle bolt emitted from blasters, in that a particle beam utilized particles that were less densely packed but much more energized, resulting in a bolt that was unstable but very powerful.
Particle beams acted like blaster bolts when fired, but due to their unstable nature, would explode violently upon contact with a solid object or energy field. This made them extremely valuable in artillery weapons, such as the particle cannon turret, as well as an effective backup weapon, as seen in the police cruiser backup unit's particle beam blaster. Particle beams were thus also very effective against lightsaber-wielding opponents; even a rifle-grade particle beam blaster couldn't be deflected by a lightsaber, as it would explode in a low-yield burst upon contact.
- The Old Republic: Revan
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne (Codex entry)
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures (video game)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron