The main economic activity on Pasaana was dust farming. Even though the Aki-Aki mostly reject all post-starflight technologies, this is a rare exception. The desert winds carry dangerous seeds spores blown from across the world. Specialized electro-sifters can pluck these from the gusts and drag them into the collection hoppers. These also contain moisture vaporators, allowing a grid of these to form an underground dust farm. The phedrugrass and termania-spore make up a large part of the Aki-Aki diet. The arid conditions though, do mean lots of land has to be used to yield crops. Many farmers make use of skimmers to cross their farms.
The Festival of the Ancestors is a legendary event, only held every 42 years that draws many people from afar. The Forbidden Valley is packed with 500,000 Aki-Aki and 5,000 off-worlders during this time. The lack of amenities, such as hotels, spaceports and restaurants, means that only the really desperate or really determined come here. Local chiefs hire mercenaries for security during this time. They scan the crowds, looking for other hired guns, or fugitives. The chiefs do not want to become involved in galactic affairs, but they do want to keep the celebration peaceful.
Under the surface of Pasaana's deserts are a number of caves that connect to freshwater aquifers. However, a number of predators could be found in the caves; the threat they posed kept the Aki-Aki from overexploiting the water supply.
Sometime after the Battle of Endor, Luke Skywalker came here on a mission to discover more about the Sith and Jedi. Lando accompanied him and helped track down the ship of the assassin Ochi, who was searching for Sith relics. He then hid here in the treadable for many years.
In 35 ABY, after the Emperor revealed himself and the Final Order was announced, Rey, Finn, Poe Dameron, Chewbacca, C-3PO, and BB-8 came to Pasaana on the trail of the planet Exegol. During their visit the Festival of the Ancestors, they engaged First Order forces before being swallowed up by the sinking fields and ending up in the maze-like tunnels created by a vexis. The Resistance members would find the remains of Ochi of Bestoon, obtaining his dagger with the Sith inscriptions needed to locate the Emperor's wayfinder in the wreckage of the DS-2 Death Star II Mobile Battle Station on Kef Bir.
Behind the scenes
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: A Test of Courage audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Starfighter Missions
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Kylo Ren vs. Resistance Rebels"
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: We Are the Resistance (First appearance)