Pauldrons were a type of armor worn by soldiers of the Galactic Republic, the Galactic Empire, the First Order, and Mandalore. These represented the wearer's rank or affiliation. These varied in color, and could sometime feature symbols associated with the wearer's commander.
The Galactic Republic's specialized and officer clone troopers utilized pauldrons. Advanced Recon Commandos were known to utilize them, as well as Clone Captains and Clone Commanders. The Wookiee warriors of the Republic planet Kashyyyk utilized decorative pauldrons.
Members of the Imperial Stormtrooper Corps, such as stormtrooper commanders, sandtroopers, magma troopers, snipers and grenadiers were all known to wear a variety of different colors of pauldrons, as well as Death troopers. They could indicate the wearer's rank, position or specialization. A black colored pauldron indicated enlisted troopers, white was for sergeants, and orange for unit leaders or captains. Snipers wore blue pauldrons, and Grenadiers wore red. Imperial stormtroopers stationed aboard Grand Admiral Thrawn's flagship Chimaera wore pauldrons that, although in the normal color variations, featured a symbol of a stylized chimaera in the middle. This symbol was associated with the Grand Admiral, and also appeared on the uniforms of Imperial officers aboard the ship.
Death troopers used black pauldrons to signify specialists, who had access to additional weapons and equipment. The pauldrons used gave additional information when viewed through a Death Trooper's helmet.
The rise of the First Order witnessed the continuity of Imperial customs, one such tradition being the use of pauldrons to denote rank or specialty, such as stormtrooper officers in the First Order military. Officers wear red pauldrons, sergeants wear black, while squad leaders wear white.
- (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 1 (Databank A-Z: Ask Aak–Stass Allie) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Helmets: In Pictures)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 6 (Building the Galaxy: Filming R2-D2, Part 3; Droid Directory: EGL Power Droids) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Cast"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Technology"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Practical"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Process"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Score"
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Through Imperial Eyes"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars Rebels: Recon Missions
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars Rebels: Strike Missions
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- Pauldron on Wikipedia