Paz Vizla was a human male Mandalorian who was a member of the Tribe during the reign of the New Republic, living in a hidden enclave. Despite the fact that the Galactic Empire no longer existed, Vizla held disdain for the regime and anyone affiliated with it due to the Great Purge.
When the bounty hunter known as the Mandalorian used Imperial beskar to create his armor, Vizla confronted him, but the altercation was broken up by the Tribe's armorer. Vizla and other members of the Tribe later protected the Mandalorian from a number of bounty hunters, allowing him to escape to his starship with a child he had rescued.
- "Our world was shattered by the Empire, with whom this coward shares tables."
- ―Paz Vizla
During the era of the New Republic, Paz Vizla was a member of the Tribe, residing in a Mandalorian enclave on a volcanic world. Due to the Galactic Empire's Great Purge against the Mandalorians, the Tribe were forced to remain hidden in their enclave. In 9 ABY, Vizla witnessed the bounty hunter known as the Mandalorian enter the enclave with a camtono of beskar. Vizla and several other Mandalorians watched as the Mandalorian gave the beskar to the Tribe's armorer, intending to create armor from it. Vizla inspected the beskar, which had been taken by the Empire during the Great Purge. Accusing the Mandalorian of cowardice, Vizla attacked him, and the two got into an altercation. As the two held their vibroblades at each other, the armorer broke up the fight, reminding them of the Way of the Mandalore. Vizla stepped aside, allowing the armorer to forge armor for the Mandalorian.
Some time later, the Mandalorian was confronted by a number of Bounty Hunters' Guild members led by Greef Karga after he rescued a child which he had previously delivered to a client as a bounty. Karga intended to kill the Mandalorian if he did not hand over the child, but the members of the Tribe arrived to protect the bounty hunter. Vizla landed near the Mandalorian, shooting down a number of bounty hunters with his blaster cannon. Turning to the Mandalorian, Vizla told him to escape while the Tribe held off the bounty hunters. The Mandalorian stated that the enclave would need to be moved due to the Tribe's interference, and Vizla cited the Way of the Mandalore. The Mandalorian escaped to his starship, the Razor Crest, and managed to leave the world. As the Razor Crest left the world's surface, Vizla flew beside it with his jetpack and saluted the Mandalorian, before turning back towards the ground.
Personality and traits
- "Our strength was once in our numbers. Now we live in the shadows and only come above ground one at a time."
- ―Paz Vizla
Vizla despised the Galactic Empire and anyone who affiliated themselves with it, due to what had happened to the Mandalorians in the Great Purge, accusing the Mandalorian of being a coward for taking jobs from former Imperials. However, despite their differences, Vizla followed the Way of the Mandalore foremost, protecting the Mandalorian when he was attacked by bounty hunters.
Skills and abilities
- "Get out of here! We'll hold them off!"
- ―Paz Vizla, to the Mandalorian
Vizla was skilled in combat, able to fend off a number of attackers with his blaster cannon.
- "I gotta get one of those."
- ―The Mandalorian, upon seeing Vizla use his jetpack
Behind the scenes
Paz Vizla first appeared in Chapter 3 of The Mandalorian, voiced by series creator Jon Favreau. Tait Fletcher acted as a double for the character. While not identified in the episode, Paz Vizla's name was given in the credits.
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 The Mandalorian – "3"
- ↑ According to a timeline shown at D23 Expo 2019, The Mandalorian is set five years after Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Return of the Jedi to 4 ABY, meaning that The Mandalorian is set in 9 ABY.
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (2019-11-22). The Mandalorian Episode Three Easter Eggs: Life Day, Iron Man, Princess Leia, and More. Vanity Fair. Retrieved on November 22, 2019.