- "Then there was the time I stalked a giant peko-peko for ten days. It got away, but for me it was all about the hunt, not the kill. Okay, okay. I really wish it hadn't gotten away. It would make for a better story."
- ―Walker Luskeske, to a spacer
Peko-pekos were large, strong reptavians, whose raucous squawks carried over long distances. They were native to the Gungan swamps of Naboo. Another breed lived on Nal Hutta. The feathers of the peko-peko albatross were used in the construction of Reinforced Insulated Sheath armor.
Peko-pekos congregated in large flocks but generally traveled in pairs and mated for life. Both male and female had beautiful indigo-sapphire plumage, and both were the same size. Peko-pekos had powerful wings and fairly toxic skin and feathers. Most animals left peko-pekos alone, as their toxins caused sharp stomach pains, severe vomiting, and occasional deaths. Not all animals were susceptible, however. Ironically, the peko-peko's blood contained antivenin for glie-based poisons. They had keen eyesight, clawed wings to help them climb, and a powerful beak that could crush even the hardest of nuts.
Besides nuts, the peko-peko ate kaadu eggs and small creatures. Certain nuts and seeds would not germinate unless they passed through the peko-peko's gastrointestinal system. They were preyed upon by tusk cats.
The peko-peko nested in the high hollows of trees. The female laid two eggs at a time. Both partners cared for hatchlings.
Impressively sized specimens were known as "Giant Peko-Pekos." It is unclear if they were simply more mature, or a separate breed.
|PekoPekoA-SWE1R.ogg (info · help)|
|Example of a peko-peko's cry|
|PekoPekoB-SWE1R.ogg (info · help)|
|Another example of a peko-peko's cry|
- Episode I Adventures 10: Festival of Warriors
- "The Death of Captain Tarpals"—Star Wars Tales 3
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace unabridged audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace video game
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars Episode I: The Gungan Frontier
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- Empire 20
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension (Mentioned only)
- Fate of the Jedi: Ascension audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing
- Star Wars: Yoda's Challenge Activity Center
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Secrets of Naboo
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- The Art of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Agents of Deception (Card: Toxic Peko-Peko Mount) (backup link)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and references
- Peko Peko on the SWG Wiki
- Star Wars Galaxies - General 3D artist & UI, by SWG 2D/3D Artist Christine Chugon