- "I'm cooking up a little something called Phantom Squadron."
- ―Wedge Antilles to Temmin Wexley
Phantom Squadron was a New Republic starfighter squadron that was formed by Captain Wedge Antilles. In 5 ABY, the squadron fought against the Galactic Empire during the liberation of Kashyyyk. Since their strike on Kashyyyk had not been authorized by the New Republic Defense Fleet, the squadron was dissolved as punishment. However, Phantom Squadron was re-established just in time to participate in the climactic Battle of Jakku, which ended the Galactic Civil War.
Liberation of KashyyykEdit
- "This is Phantom Leader. Phantom Squadron's got your back, General Organa. Let's save the day and bring it home."
- ―Wedge Antilles to Leia Organa
Following the capture of the Imperial Vice Admiral Perwin Gedde in 5 ABY, Captain Wedge Antilles informed his student Temmin Wexley that he was planning to establish a new squadron called Phantom Squadron. He invited Wexley to join the squadron once he was spaceworthy. Phantom Squadron consisted of washouts, burnouts, and capable freaks.
At the urging of Princess Leia Organa, Phantom Leader Antilles and his squadron launched an unsanctioned attack on the Imperial-occupied world of Kashyyyk. By the time of that attack, Phantom Squadron numbered twelve X-wing starfighters and their pilots. During the battle, one of the X-wings was shredded by three TIE fighters. Phantom Squadron and Organa's borrowed ship, the Millennium Falcon, were then reinforced by Admiral Ackbar's flagship Home One. The remaining Imperial forces were defeated after Han Solo hijacked the Dominion and destroyed the Star Destroyer Vitiator. Phantom Squadron suffered a few loses during the battle.
- Phantom Leader: Captain Wedge Antilles (X-wing)
- Pacer Agoyo's father (X-wing)
- Jethpur (X-wing)
- Koko (X-wing)
- Yarra (X-wing)
- "Phantom Squadron is shut down."
- ―Wedge Antilles to Temmin Wexley following the Liberation of Kashyyyk
Following the liberation of Kashyyyk, Temmin Wexley praised Phantom Squadron for their flying skills. In public, Phantom Squadron were praised for their efforts by the New Republic Defense Force authorities and Wedge Antilles was even awarded a medal. In private, disciplinary action was taken and Phantom Squadron was shut down. Since the New Republic was transitioning from a rebel movement into a proper government, the authorities wanted to take action against Phantom Squadron for acting outside the command structure.
Antilles and his fellow pilots were relieved of their duties and reassigned to work as support crew at the New Republic military base on Chandrila. Koko was reassigned to running fueling lines. The Quarren Jethpur found work as an engine mechanic. Yarra resigned from the New Republic military and found work on a Chandrilan fishing rig. Antilles was reassigned to managing a hangar on Chandrila. Due to the disciplinary action taken against Phantom Squadron, Antilles was unwilling to travel with Wexley to Jakku in order to rescue his mother Norra.
Battle of JakkuEdit
- "All right, Phantom Squadron. Let's get a closer look at Jakku. Take out as many of the bad guys as you can on the way."
- ―Captain Wedge Antilles giving Phantom Squadron their orders
After the Galactic Senate authorized military intervention at Jakku, Temmin Wexley convinced Wedge Antilles to re-establish Phantom Squadron. Antilles agreed and told Wexley to meet him at Hangar Forty-Seven in two hours in preparation for the Battle of Jakku. The majority of Phantom Squadron pilots flew X-wings, while Yarra flew a Y-wing. Wexley flew an older T-65C-A2 X-wing with the astromech droid R3-W5.
Phantom Squadron exited lightspeed after the main New Republic fleet had arrived at Jakku. Since the space above Jakku was crowded with Imperial and New Republic ships, Wexley advised his fellow pilots to fly down to Jakku and punch a hole in the Imperial air-to-space defenses so that New Republic ground forces could land on the planet. Antilles accepted Wexley's advice and brought Phantom Squadron into Jakku's atmosphere. During the ground battle, Phantom Squadron targeted TIE strikers and Imperial walkers. Antilles then directed Wexley to pursue an Imperial shuttle. This shuttle turned out to be carrying Wexley's mother Norra and his B1 battle droid companion Mister Bones. The young pilot had a brief conversation with his mother before returning to the battle.
As the battle continued, Wexley's X-wing was hit by falling debris from the crippled Imperial Super Star Destroyer Ravager and the Mark One Starhawk Concord. Wexley survived the crash but his X-wing was destroyed. He was attacked by several stormtroopers and an AT-ST walker. Wexley was rescued by Mister Bones but the droid was destroyed during a friendly fire incident involving two A-wings.
Following the Battle of Jakku and the signing of the Galactic Concordance, Wexley earned the nickname "Snap" from his fellow Phantom Squadron pilots. Antilles became the head instructor at New Republic's new flight academy on Hosnian Prime while Wexley became a cadet at that academy. Wexley's friend Sinjir Rath Velus jokingly nicknamed Phantom Squadron "Fancy Squadron".
- Phantom Leader: Wedge Antilles (X-wing)
- Jethpur (X-wing)
- Koko (X-wing)
- Sanrec Stronghammer
- Temmin Wexley (T-65C-A2 X-wing)
- Yarra (Y-wing)
Battle of ExegolEdit
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook)
- Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath: Life Debt)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook
- "Blade Squadron: Jakku"—Star Wars Insider 172
- Resistance Reborn (Mentioned only)
- Resistance Reborn audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Resistance Reborn
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and the events of Shattered Empire 4, which take place three months after the battle, to 5 ABY. Furthermore, the novel Aftermath states that months have passed since the Battle of Endor, while Aftermath: Life Debt begins two months after the end of Aftermath. Therefore, the events of Aftermath: Life Debt begin at least four months after the Battle of Endor, which corresponds to 5 ABY. Additionally, Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Jakku, as depicted in Life Debt's sequel, Aftermath: Empire's End, to 5 ABY as well, thereby firmly placing Aftermath: Life Debt in 5 ABY.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker as taking place one year after the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker must take place in 35 ABY.