- "I'm cooking up a little something called Phantom Squadron."
- ―Wedge Antilles to Temmin Wexley
Phantom Squadron was a New Republic X-wing starfighter squadron that was formed by Captain Wedge Antilles. In 5 ABY, the squadron fought against the Galactic Empire during the liberation of Kashyyyk. Since their strike on Kashyyyk had not been authorized by the New Republic Defense Fleet, the squadron was dissolved as punishment. However, Phantom Squadron was re-established just in time to participate in the climactic Battle of Jakku, which ended the Galactic Civil War.
Liberation of KashyyykEdit
- "This is Phantom Leader. Phantom Squadron's got your back, General Organa. Let's save the day and bring it home."
- ―Wedge Antilles, to Leia Organa
Following the capture of the Imperial Vice Admiral Perwin Gedde in 5 ABY, Captain Wedge Antilles informed his student Temmin Wexley that he was planning to establish a new squadron called Phantom Squadron. He invited Wexley to join the squadron once he was spaceworthy. Phantom Squadron consisted of washouts, burnouts, and capable freaks.
At the urging of Princess Leia Organa, Phantom Leader Antilles and his squadron launched an unsanctioned attack on the Imperial-occupied world of Kashyyyk. By the time of that attack, Phantom Squadron numbered twelve X-wing starfighters and their pilots. During the battle, one of the x-wings was shredded by three TIE fighters. Phantom Squadron and Organa's borrowed ship, the Millennium Falcon, were then reinforced by Admiral Ackbar's flagship Home One. The remaining Imperial forces after Han Solo hijacked the Dominion and destroyed the Star Destroyer Vitiator.
- "Phantom Squadron is shut down."
- ―Wedge Antilles to Temmin Wexley following the Liberation of Kashyyyk
Following the liberation of Kashyyyk, Wexley praised Phantom Squadron for their flying skills. In public, Phantom Squadron were praised for their efforts by the New Republic military authorities and Wedge was even awarded a medal. In private, disciplinary action was taken and Phantom Squadron was shut down. Since the New Republic was transitioning from a rebel movement into a proper government, the authorities wanted to take action against Phantom Squadron for acting outside the command structure.
Antilles and his fellow pilots were relieved of their duties and reassigned to work as support crew at the New Republic military base on Chandrila. Koko was reassigned to running fueling lines while the Quarren Jethpur found work as an engine mechanic. Yarra resigned from the New Republic military and found work at a Chandrilan fishing rig. Antilles was reassigned to managing a hangar on Chandrila. Due to the disciplinary action taken against Phantom Squadron, Antilles was unwilling to travel with Wexley to Jakku in order to rescue his mother Norra Wexley.
Battle of JakkuEdit
- "All right, Phantom Squadron. Let's get a closer look at Jakku. Take out as many of the bad guys as you can on the way."
- ―Captain Wedge Antilles giving Phantom Squadron their orders
After the Galactic Senate authorized military intervention at Jakku, Wexley convinced Antilles to re-establish Phantom Squadron. Antilles agreed and told Wexley to meet him at Hangar Forty-Seven in two hours. Antilles and the other Phantom Squadron pilots Koko, Jethpur, Yarra, and Wexley flew X-wings during the Battle of Jakku. They exited lightspeed after the main New Republic fleet had arrived at Jakku. During the battle, Wexley flew an older T-65C-A2 X-wing with the astromech droid R3-W5.
Since the space above Jakku was crowded with Imperial and New Republic ships, Wexley advised his fellow pilots to fly down to Jakku and punch a hole in the Imperial air-to-space defenses so that New Republic ground forces could land on the planet. Antilles accepted Wexley's advice and brought Phantom Squadron into Jakku's atmosphere. During the ground battle, Phantom Squadron targeted TIE strikers and Imperial walkers. Wedge then directed Wexley to pursue an Imperial shuttle. This shuttle turned out to be carrying Wexley's mother Norra and his B1 battle droid companion Mister Bones. Bones managed to warn Wexley and the young pilot had a brief conversation with his mother before returning to the battle.
As the battle continued, Wexley's X-wing was hit by falling debris from the crippled Imperial Super Star Destroyer Ravager and the Mark One Starhawk Concord. Wexley survived the crash but his X-wing was wrecked. He was attacked by several stormtroopers and an AT-ST walker. Wexley was rescued by Bones but the droid was destroyed during a friendly fire incident involving two A-wings.
Following the Battle of Jakku and the signing of the Galactic Concordance, Wexley earned the nickname Snap from his fellow Phantom Squadron pilots. Wedge became the head instructor at New Republic's new flight academy on Hosnian Prime while Snap became a cadet at that academy. Wexley's friend Sinjir Rath Velus jokingly nick-named Phantom Squadron "Fancy Squadron."
- Phantom Leader: Wedge Antilles (X-wing)
- Jethpur (X-wing)
- Koko (X-wing)
- Temmin "Snap" Wexley (X-wing)
- Yarra (Y-wing)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- "Blade Squadron: Jakku"—Star Wars Insider 172
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and the events of Shattered Empire, Part IV, which take place three months after the battle, to 5 ABY. Furthermore, the novel Aftermath states that months have passed since the Battle of Endor, while Aftermath: Life Debt begins two months after the end of Aftermath. Therefore, the events of Aftermath: Life Debt begin at least four months after the Battle of Endor, which corresponds to 5 ABY. Additionally, Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Jakku, as depicted in Life Debt's sequel, Aftermath: Empire's End, to 5 ABY as well, thereby firmly placing Aftermath: Life Debt in 5 ABY.