Pharl McQuarrie was a human male who served as a general in the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. With his knowledge of planning and logistics, McQuarrie played a key role in planning the Alliance's headquarters on the planet Hoth, named Echo Base, and headed its construction before being selected as General Carlist Rieekan's second-in-command.
In 3 ABY, the Galactic Empire discovered the Alliance's presence on Hoth and deployed forces to attack Echo Base. McQuarrie was instrumental in coordinating a defensive action against the Empire that allowed the vast majority of the base's personnel and equipment to be evacuated to a rallying point.
Pharl McQuarrie served as a general in the army of the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire. He played an integral part in the planning and establishment of Echo Base, the Alliance's headquarters on the icy planet Hoth, and was personally selected to head up its construction, in which he proved instrumental. It took eighteen months to construct the base, two of which were simply installing equipment. After the base's completion, the commander of Echo Base, General Carlist Rieekan, selected McQuarrie to be his second-in-command.
In 3 ABY, less than a month after the Alliance had begun using Echo Base, an Imperial Viper probe droid discovered it and alerted the Empire. After locating and destroying the droid, the Alliance began to evacuate immediately. During the preparations, McQuarrie strode across one of the base's hangars past several other base personnel.
Before the evacuation could begin, an Imperial fleet arrived in the Hoth system and deployed ground forces to attack Echo Base. McQuarrie played a key role in coordinating a delaying defensive action against the Imperial forces and bought the Alliance time to evacuate the vast majority of the base's personnel and equipment to a rallying point, including all members of Alliance High Command who were present.
Personality and traitsEdit
While stationed at Echo Base, McQuarrie wore a brown cold-weather issue command parka, white command gauntlets, a brown belt, and a white insulated watch cap with a com unit, a face wrap, cap warmers, and green anti-glare goggles. He also carried a clipboard.
Behind the scenesEdit
Pharl McQuarrie was created as an on-screen cameo for concept artist Ralph McQuarrie in the 1980 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back. McQuarrie appears carrying his sketch clipboard in front of a matte painting that he created in a scene that also includes several other concept artists who worked on the film cameoing as rebel personnel, including Joe Johnston, Harrison Ellenshaw, and Michael Pangrazio. While the other three were given brief lines of dialogue, McQuarrie claimed the crew did not trust him with lines as they knew he would "flub" them.
The name Pharl McQuarrie was first used in the new Star Wars canon during the release of a bust of the character sold as an convention exclusive at Celebration Anaheim in 2015. The name originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where the character was first identified as simply General McQuarrie on a card in the 1998 Special Edition Limited set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. The first name "Pharl," an anagram of Ralph, was then introduced in the 2004 article "Who's Who in Echo Base," which was written by Josh Radke and published in Star Wars Insider 74.
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- (First identified as Pharl McQuarrie)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 (official product page)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars Helmet Collection 32
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Ralph McQuarrie: Dreamer & Visionary"—Star Wars Insider 134
- ↑ Ralph McQuarrie: Illustrator Exclusive DVD interview. Ralph McQuarrie: Illustrator. RalphMcQuarrie.com (2001). Archived from the original on October 27, 2003. Retrieved on October 27, 2003.
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: General McQuarrie)
- ↑ "Who's Who in Echo Base"—Star Wars Insider 74