- "If the Empire is here, then what I sensed is true. There must be something special about this place."
- ―Luke Skywalker
A colossal coral reef stretched across the entire planet, and vast numbers of sea life lived in its oceans. Ancient fossils, uncommon species, and other secrets laid hidden in the deep coral caves. Pillio was the main food source of the Jinata system. Both the Nautolan and Mon Calamari fishing companies quarreled over the profits that were to be made from the natural resources.
Galactic Civil War
- "I'd like to keep this compass, if you don't mind."
"My mission is to destroy this place. Why would I let you do that?"
"Because I asked."
- ―Skywalker and Meeko
Following the destruction of the DS-2 Death Star II Mobile Battle Station, Luke Skywalker felt a calling to Pillio and traveled to the planet. Imperial forces also arrived on the planet, including Inferno Squad's Del Meeko, who had orders to destroy an observatory belonging to Darth Sidious. Despite being on opposite sides of the conflict, Luke and Del worked together to reach the observatory, where the former retrieved a special compass before the two parted ways.
New Republic Era
- "Tell me where Lor San Tekka took the map."
"…Bayora. He took it to Bayora."
- ―Kylo Ren and Del Meeko
During the Cold War between the New Republic and First Order, Del Meeko once again returned to Pillio, aiming to locate a number of kidnapped Athullans. After landing on the planet, he was captured by Jinata Security. Later, Kylo Ren arrived to interrogate Del regarding the whereabouts of the map leading to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. Ultimately, Ren discovered the map was taken by Lor San Tekka to Bayora and promptly departed after delegating authority to Gideon Hask, who then executed Del aboard the Corvus.
Behind the scenes
Pillio was first mentioned in the 2017 junior novel The Legends of Luke Skywalker. During a story named "the Starship Graveyard," told by Ulina, it is claimed that shortly after the Battle of Jakku, a scavenger gifted Skywalker with a compass found in an Imperial case labeled "Pillio." It later appeared in the 2017 video game, Star Wars Battlefront II as part of the single player campaign.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First appearance)
- Shadow of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (First mentioned, simultaneous with The Legends of Luke Skywalker audiobook)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Destiny – Across the Galaxy (Card: )
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and references
- Star Wars Battlefront II places Pillio in the Jinata system and establishes that the system has two other planets, Vardos and Athulla. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu places Vardos in the Core Worlds. As Vardos is in the Jinata system, the system and everything in it must share Vardos' location.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker