- "These things were designed to eat starfighters, right?"
"They also have other uses."
- ―Nevil Cygni and Thrawn
The Pistoeka sabotage droid, also known as the buzz droid, was a model of sabotage droid manufactured by Colicoid Creation Nest that could speak in the Colicoid language. They were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the later stages of the Clone Wars for purpose of disabling enemy craft and were the successor to the Mark One Pistoeka sabotage droid. They were transferred to enemy fighters via specialized discord missiles, and popped open to reveal their insect-looking body. They operated quickly, using their tools of vandalism, such as drilling cutters. While their tools were effective, the central eye was a weak spot which could take the buzz droid out of commission when hit.
History[edit | edit source]
- "They're shutting down all the controls!"
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, during the Battle of Coruscant
During the Clone Wars, buzz droids were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems. During a incident at Carida, a super tactical droid sent several buzz droids to destroy the remaining droids of a Venator-class Star Destroyer and D-Squad. They were then blown out a airlock into hyperspace when M5-BZ opened it. Several buzz droids attacked Jedi General Anakin Skywalker's Eta-2 Actis-class light interceptor and almost disabled his ship during the Republic's defense of Cato Neimoidia.
During the Battle of Ringo Vinda, a HMP droid gunship deployed several buzz droids to disable a shuttle that was carrying clone trooper CT-5385 "Tup" back to Kamino. After the ship was disabled, Separatist forces captured Tup for Count Dooku to personally examine.
During the Battle of Coruscant, several buzz droids attacked General Skywalker's and General Obi-Wan Kenobi's Eta-2 Actis-class interceptors. The buzz droids destroyed Kenobi's astromech, R4-P17, but they were finished off by Skywalker and R2-D2.
Four years after the rise of the Galactic Empire, the Free Ryloth movement modified large numbers of buzz droids to explode. Stored inside modified vulture droids, they were used to attack the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Perilous over Ryloth.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sabotage"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Dark Disciple (Mentioned only)
- Dark Disciple audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Lords of the Sith
- Lords of the Sith audiobook
- Thrawn audiobook
- Thrawn 2
- Thrawn 6 (Mentioned only)
- "Squad Goals"—Star Wars Adventures 31
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Pistoeka sabotage droid)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Expert Guide
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 8 (Databank A-Z: Bric–C-3PO)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: A-wing Deluxe Book and 3D Wood Model
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 33 (Highlights of the Saga: The Unlikely Heroes) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Vulture-class Droid Fighter Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Rise of the Separatists
- Collapse of the Republic
- Star Wars: Extraordinary Droids