- "When he's not turnin' those ronto shanks 'round the clock, 8D-J8 is busy addin' other meaty snacks to the menu, includin' this a jerky made from the thin bands of meat hung around his roastin' pit."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Pitmaster's Choice was a type of jerky made by the former smelter droid 8D-J8, who worked as the pitmaster in the Ronto Roasters eatery in Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu. When not roasting ronto shanks over the establishment's converted podracer engine roasting pit, the droid used the thin strips of meat hanging around the pit to make Pitmaster's Choice, meaning it could be made from a variety of meats including nuna turkey or luggabeast meat cooked until they were brown and black.
In 34 ABY, the Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs included a recipe for Pitmaster's Choice, which he considered sublime, in his cookbook The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook. In the book, he lamented that most people did not have their own converted podracer engine to authentically cook the dish on, but he claimed his recipe would keep them satisfied between trips to Ronto Roasters.
Behind the scenes
Pitmaster's Choice was created as one of the recipes included in the 2019 cookbook Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was written by Marc Sumerak and Chelsea Monroe-Cassel. The out-of-universe recipe for the dish requires ground pork with a marinade of dark soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of five-spice powder.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.