A planetary ion cannon was a massive ion weapon that could be used to temporarily or permanently disable electrical systems and penetrate shields. Used mainly in defense, they were also used by pirates on anarchic worlds such as Lok to disable ships for looting.
Its power source was usually a dedicated reactor sunken into the ground and it could be erected in several hours.
A V-150 was seen on the planet of Hoth during the Battle of Hoth. The ion cannon fired at—and hit—the Imperial-Star Destroyer Tyrant, which left it non-operational and allowed several Rebel medium transports escape the planet before the Imperial invasion commenced.
Kuat Drive Yards was a large producer of planetary ion cannons, including the V-150.
Versions[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption
- Star Wars: Force Commander
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars: Rebellion
- Star Wars: Rebellion: My Brother, My Enemy
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back junior novel
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Interactive Video Board Game
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: )
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Making of The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Sith Wars