- "I didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy."
- ―Rey gazing down on the planet Takodana
Plants were a wide variety of organisms, including familiar types such as trees, herbs, bushes, grasses, vines, ferns, mosses, and green algae, which drew sustenance from sunlight. Plants made up an important part of many a planet's total amount of living matter. Anaxes, for example, was covered in stunning red-colored plant life. The humid world of Felucia housed immense primitive plants, including enormous pitcher plants and leafy growths. Although the planet situated in the heart of the galaxy seemed to be barren, its heart contained floating islands teeming with luminescent plants.
Some plants, like the carnivorous reeksa, could be used for their medicinal properties. The herbs of Maridun were also used as medicine by the Lurmen healers. They helped mend Anakin Skywalker's injuries when he arrived on their planet.
Some plants evolved tentacles, which could provide many advantages, allowing a plant to collect pollen or nutrients and uproot or defend itself. Others evolved to produce light in the form of bioluminescence and thrived in spaces with limited light like caves or deep sea beds. The light allowed them to attract pollinators or prey in the darkness, and such plants were common on the planet Umbara and in the depths of Mon Cala's oceans.
Certain plants were grown for ornamental purposes. For example, the Lars family used to grow purple blossoms in the courtyard of their homestead. They could also be picked in the wild and displayed at home. Rey, a scavenger on the barren desert planet Jakku, made a hobby of collecting spinebarrels and nightblossoms to display in her home in order to remind herself that there was beauty even on Jakku as long as you looked hard enough.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars: Puzzle Droids
- "The Dragonsnake Saves R2-D2"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Destiny – Awakenings (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 1 (Databank A-Z: Ask Aak–Stass Allie)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 11 (Weapons & Uniforms: Inhabitants of Tatooine)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 12 (Databank A-Z: Cosians–Dagobah)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Databank A-Z: Poe Dameron–Delta 7-B)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Databank A-Z: Gungans–Rako Hardeen)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Databank A-Z: Hydroid Medusas–Imperial Academies)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny: Meet the Heroes
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage (Picture only)
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Star Wars: Legion – Legion Core Set (Card: ) (Reissued in 74-Z Speeder Bikes Unit Expansion) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Legion – Legion Core Set (Card: ) (Reissued in 74-Z Speeder Bikes Unit Expansion, AT-RT Unit Expansion, AT-ST Unit Expansion, T-47 Airspeeder Unit Expansion, Clone Wars Core Set, Upgrade Card Pack) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Plant on Wikipedia