- "I didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy."
- ―Rey gazing down on the planet Takodana
Plants were a wide variety of organisms, including familiar types such as trees, herbs, bushes, grasses, vines, ferns, mosses, and green algae, which drew sustenance from sunlight. Plants made up an important part of many a planet's total amount of living matter. Anaxes, for example, was covered in stunning red-colored plant life. The humid world of Felucia housed immense primitive plants, including enormous pitcher plants and leafy growths. Although the planet situated in the heart of the galaxy seemed to be barren, its heart contained floating islands teeming with luminescent plants.
In worlds with a Type I atmosphere, plants played a crucial role in the recycling of oxygen. Without them, or some other chemical mechanisms, all the oxygen in the atmosphere would quickly be bound up to other elements and locked away in compounds such as carbon dioxide, becoming unbreathable to the life forms that depended on it to maintain life.
Some plants, like the carnivorous reeksa, could be used for their medicinal properties. Neeku Vozo used herbs to soothe the pain from Eila's broken leg. The herbs of Maridun were also used as medicine by the Lurmen healers. They helped mend Anakin Skywalker's injuries when he arrived on their planet.
Some plants evolved tentacles, which could provide many advantages, allowing a plant to collect pollen or nutrients and uproot or defend itself. Others evolved to produce light in the form of bioluminescence and thrived in spaces with limited light like caves or deep sea beds. The light allowed them to attract pollinators or prey in the darkness, and such plants were common on the planet Umbara and in the depths of Mon Cala's oceans.
Certain plants were grown for ornamental purposes. For example, the Lars family used to grow purple blossoms in the courtyard of their homestead. They could also be picked in the wild and displayed at home. Rey, a scavenger on the barren desert planet Jakku, made a hobby of collecting spinebarrels and nightblossoms to display in her home in order to remind herself that there was beauty even on Jakku as long as you looked hard enough.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars: Puzzle Droids
- "The Dragonsnake Saves R2-D2"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Crossing Paths"
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destiny"
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 43 (Secrets of Spaceflight: Types of Atmosphere)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Children from Tehar"
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Battlefront: Twilight Company