An unarmed variant of the Multi-Troop Transport, or MTT, the platoon attack craft boasted no weaponry or heavy armor and had to rely on Armored Assault Tanks and battle droids for protection. It was deployed behind the protection of ground armor in secure conditions, or within occupied territory. Although the MTTs offered greater protection, the troop carrier was faster and more agile, and many were still retained in the Trade Federation Droid Army.
The troop carrier was a repulsorcraft, and similar to the deployment racks used in MTTs, the troop carrier's single rack could carry a number of droids folded into their smaller configuration.
During the Invasion of Naboo, several platoon attack craft were brought to Naboo along with MTTs and AATs in C-9979 landing crafts. The troop carriers were part of the Trade Federation invasion force that occupied the capital city Theed.
During the Clone Wars, troop carriers were pledged by the Trade Federation to the droid army of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. On Geonosis, they transported battle droid platoons from the planet's underground droid factories for deployment. Troop carriers brought battle droids into the Petranaki Arena when Mace Windu's Jedi strike team arrived to rescue Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Senator Padmé Amidala.
Early into the Clone Wars, troop carriers were brought to the Outer Rim planet Hissrich, and used in the Hissrich droid unit, under the command of the droid mercenary AD-W4. The vehicles were stationed alongside MTTs and Octuptarra tri-droids at the Separatist outpost on the planet. Troop carriers were later used in the Battle of Kashyyyk.
Behind the scenes
The platoon attack craft first appeared in 1999 in the episodic film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. It was later identified as the platoon attack craft in Rise of the Separatists, a 2019 supplement to Fantasy Flight Games' series of Star Wars Roleplaying products, and was also identified as the Trade Federation troop carrier in the 2016 reference book Star Wars: Complete Locations, published by Dorling Kindersley.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Jedi of the Republic – Mace Windu 1
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- (as troop transport)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (Set: 75086 Battle Droid Troop Carrier)
- Ultimate Star Wars (as troop carrier)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 30 (Starship Fact File: Trade Federation Battleships 1) (First identified as Platoon Attack Craft)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (First identified as Trade Federation troop carrier)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition (as troop carrier)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars Complete Vehicles, New Edition
- "Battle Droids and Other War Droids" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy (Picture only)
- (as troop transport)