- "I guess I was wrong. There was no danger at all."
- ―Gregar Typho, to Padmé Amidala, immediately preceding the first attempt on the latter's life
Prior to the Clone Wars, at the height of the Separatist Crisis; the Confederacy of Independent Systems and the Trade Federation plotted to assassinate Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo. Amidala, a leading opponent of the Military Creation Act that proposed the creation of an army for the Galactic Republic, was targeted when she arrived on Coruscant for a vote on the measure as part of Darth Sidious' plot to ensure the passing of the legislation. The attempt was carried out by Zam Wesell, a partner of bounty hunter Jango Fett who himself following orders from Count Dooku, leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems so that it could gain the backing of Nute Gunray and the Trade Federation under the condition that Amidala was killed. The attempt failed, though it claimed the life of some of Amidala's associates. As a result of the attempt, the Jedi High Council assigned Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawan, Anakin Skywalker, to protect the senator.
Wesell attempted another assassination later that evening using venomous kouhuns dispensed by the droid ASN-121, but it was foiled by the two Jedi, who chased Wesell on Coruscant before she was killed by Fett; the bounty hunter killed her to prevent her from revealing their secrets. This set in motion an investigation that led Kenobi to Kamino, where he discovered a clone army that had been secretly created for the Republic. This army became the Grand Army of the Republic and was used during the First Battle of Geonosis, which sparked the Clone Wars.
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Attack of the Clones Golden Book
- Attack of the Clones Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Thrawn: Alliances (Mentioned only)
- Thrawn: Alliances audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader 3 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III–Antilles)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Databank A-Z: Chewbacca–Cloud City)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Databank A-Z: Dooku–Dwarf Spider Droids)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 17 (Databank A-Z: Ewoks–Finn (FN-2187))
- No Disintegrations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Databank A-Z: Zam Wesell–Wexley)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ The novel Tarkin establishes that the Antar 4 schism began before the Battle of Geonosis and occurred during the events of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, the film in which the subject of this article takes place.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas