- "War-Mantle. Cluster-Prism. Black-Saber."
- ―Jyn Erso
Project War Mantle, also known as simply War-Mantle, was an initiative of the Galactic Empire enacted soon after its founding that sought to fill out the ranks of the burgeoning Imperial Army with conscripted soldiers, a departure from the clone army of the Galactic Republic. The project was part of Admiral Rampart's vision for the Empire, and he received support from Wilhuff Tarkin. Plans for the initiative were contained with similar top-secret projects covered by the Tarkin Initiative at the Citadel Tower on Scarif, along with those of the Death Star and Stellar Sphere. At one point, rebel technician Tenzigo Weems found a mention of it in an intercepted data packet that was pulled from the Balmorra relay and reported it to Davits Draven.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
War-Mantle was first mentioned in the 2016 film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and its adaptations, but would not be seen on screen until the third episode of the 2021 Disney+ series Star Wars: The Bad Batch, where it was revealed to focus on the Empire's recruitment of conscripted soldiers.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – "Replacements" (First appearance) (First identified as Project War Mantle)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First mentioned)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Rogue One Graphic Novel Adaptation (Mentioned only)
- Rogue One Adaptation 6 (Mentioned only)