Prop 31-814D was an infamous Galactic Republic resolution that enabled the taxation of the Free Trade Zones. It was passed by the Galactic Senate towards the end of Finis Valorum's Chancellery, much to the chagrin of the Trade Federation. In retaliation for the profits it would lose to the tax, the Federation blockaded the planet of Naboo, additionally hoping their blockade could help their own proposed bill concerning taxation.
Unbeknownst to most, the Sith were behind the enactment of the law, as part of a long-running plot by the Dark Lord Darth Sidious to gain absolute power over the galaxy. The Federation's invasion of Naboo led to the planet's Senator, Sheev Palpatine, becoming Supreme Chancellor—but they had done so in part at the behest of Sidious, who was the same person. This allowed Sidious to continue his plans, which culminated in the formation of the Galactic Empire with himself as Emperor.
- Queen's Peril (Indirect mention only)
- Queen's Peril audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Tarkin (Indirect mention only)
- Tarkin audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy (First identified as Prop 31-814D)
- "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Insider 200