- "The Empire has some new plan, as evidenced by Protocol 13… It is the immediate evacuation of all Imperial personnel from an occupied planet."
- ―Mon Mothma
Protocol 13 was an order used by the Galactic Empire that, when issued, started the immediate evacuation of all Imperial personnel from an occupied planet. Use of the order could be followed by devastating events the Empire would unleash upon a world, such as the destruction of Jedha City by the Death Star.
- "All Imperial forces have been evacuated, and I stand ready to destroy the entire moon."
"That won't be necessary. We need a statement, not a manifesto. The Holy City will be enough for today."
"Target Jedha City. Prepare single reactor ignition."
- ―Orson Krennic and Wilhuff Tarkin
Protocol 13 was used during the reign of the Galactic Empire to evacuate Imperial forces from an occupied planet prior to a devastating event. In 1 BBY, Alliance High Command discovered that the Empire had issued Protocol 13 for the planet Lothal. Knowing that it meant Lothal had little time left, this revelation helped Captain Hera Syndulla persuade the Alliance leaders to authorize an attack on the Imperial weapons factory on Lothal, where a dangerous new TIE Defender starfighter was being developed. It was activated on Lothal by the rebel forces liberating the planet, to lure the Imperial garrison inside the Imperial headquarters in the capital city before launching it into the air and activating its self-destruct. Despite the intervention of Grand Admiral Thrawn, the ploy was successful, resulting in the destruction of the dome and the deaths of Governor Arihnda Pryce and the entire Imperial garrison.
Protocol 13 was activated by Director Orson Krennic on the holy moon of Jedha in 0 BBY, where the Empire tested a low-powered burst of the Death Star's superlaser. After the evacuation of Imperial forces, a single reactor burst from the Death Star destroyed Jedha City. A short time later, during the Battle of Scarif, Protocol 13 was not used when Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin ordered Death Star to destroy the Imperial security complex on Scarif, resulting in the deaths of Imperial personnel on the planet.
In 35 ABY, the First Order garrison occupying Kijimi used Protocol 13 to evacuate all First Order forces from the planet. Sometime later, the Xyston-class Star Destroyer Derriphan, launched by the Sith Eternal's Final Order fleet from Exegol, arrived and destroyed Kijimi.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Crawler Commandeers" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One Adaptation 3
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (First identified as Protocol 13)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Crawler Commandeers"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker to one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of The Force Awakens to 34 ABY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker must occur in 35 ABY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker