- "Master, your starfighter's cockpit is only large enough for one of us."
"I'm aware of that. Since you know where to find the hypermatter reactor, you'll plant the [proton] grenade. We don't want this ship blowing up too close to Fondor, so set the timer for two minutes. I'll ready the [Z-95] Headhunter for launch, and you'll ride it out. Where's your [CloakShape] starfighter?"
"Anchored near the [false Sun Runner] missile silo."
"I'll carry you to it so you can make your own way back to the Unitive, instead of clinging to the outside of my ship like a mynock. Go, now."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi during their mission to Fondor
Proton grenades, also known as proton charges, were small packets of explosives that were either thrown by hand, loaded into mortars, and sometimes loaded into a ship's bombing bay. These grenades were activated by flipping a small switch on one side, and exploded on contact.
In 23 BBY, before the Clone Wars, 18-year-old Anakin Skywalker used a hypermatter reactor-planted proton grenade to destroy the counterfeit Sun Runner transport fabricated by Groodo the Hutt in his Jedi-foiled scheme to destroy the Fondor Shipyards.
Proton grenades were used mostly by the Confederacy of Independent Systems, Rebels, planetary defense forces, and smugglers. However, they were also occasionally used by the official military, (Galactic Republic, Galactic Empire, New Republic), but the thermal detonator was generally preferred. Imperial spacetroopers were known to use this weapon to breach ship hulls.
- "ComicScan: Paint Him Black" – Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 11
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Dangerous Covenants