The Providence-class dreadnought, also known as the Providence-class cruiser-carrier or the Providence-class carrier/destroyer, and more commonly known as the Separatist dreadnought, was a capital ship that the Confederacy of Independent Systems utilized during the Clone Wars. The dreadnought consisted of two variants, one smaller model that measured 1,088 meters long and a larger model that measured 2,177.35 meters long.
- "Analysis of data received by the command center's friend-or-foe indicator confirms that the capital ship is a downsized version of a Separatist Providence-class cruiser-carrier, modified with modules taken from CIS frigates and destroyers. Ships of the sort made a name for themselves during the war by jamming signals and destroying HoloNet relays."
- ―An Imperial technician, to Moff Wilhuff Tarkin
High-ranking Separatist commanders like Count Dooku, Admiral Trench, and General Grievous used Providence-class dreadnoughts as their flagships throughout the Clone Wars. Grievous commanded his fleets from several dreadnoughts throughout the war, including one from which he commanded the opening phases of the Battle of Kamino, and one during the campaign against the Shadow Collective. Grievous eventually transferred his flag to the dreadnought known as the Invisible Hand. At the Battle of Christophsis, Admiral Trench commanded Separatist forces from the dreadnought Invincible. Other dreadnoughts in the Confederacy navy included the Lucid Voice.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Providence-class dreadnought first appeared in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, and was featured in a number of episodes from the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. In the original continuity, the Expanded Universe established the ship as the Providence-class carrier/destroyer, but with the discarding of the Expanded Universe in favor of a new continuity on April 25, 2014, the initial official name was "Separatist dreadnought." The official Star Wars Encyclopedia uses the "dreadnought" spelling, though the actual URL for the ship's entry uses the "dreadnaught" spelling.
- (First identified as Separatist dreadnought)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Providence-class carrier/destroyer)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- ↑ Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC troopers"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars