- "The captain of the Flanchard was Pter Nyklas, and he was about as bad as it got - a believer in High Human Culture who saw the bridge of an Impstar as a license to kill. Worse for the Empire, the Flanchard frequently handled slaving details, a duty most Imperial captains loathed but Nyklas seemed to love."
- ―Voren Na'al
During an exchange with the Trandoshan slavers that supplied the slaves, Nyklas discovered that Ssoh's starship had been disabled. Nyklas ordered his TIE/LN starfighters under the command of Lieutenant Han Solo to destroy the ship, but Solo belayed the strike order when he discovered the Wookiees onboard. Nyklas ordered Solo and his pilots to kill the survivors, but instead Solo delivered the leader of the revolt, a Wookiee named Chewbacca. Infuriated, Nyklas ostensibly removed Solo's flying privileges.
Returning to Coruscant, Nyklas whipped Chewbacca regularly, regardless of his performance. When Chewbacca rose up in anger against Nyklas, the Imperial commander drew his blaster and was only stopped from shooting the Wookiee by Solo. As the pair fled, Nyklas filed Solo's dishonorable discharge papers and swore revenge on them. Nyklas's cruelty was a pivotal factor in driving Solo from the Imperial Navy, forging Chewbacca's life debt to the young Imperial officer, and eventually leading to Solo and Chewbacca's service with the Rebel Alliance - for which, one officer of New Republic Intelligence noted wryly, the whole galaxy owed Nyklas a great debt of gratitude.
Nyklas was described as being the stereotypical cruel Imperial. He was a believer in Human High Culture and saw the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer as a license to kill. His ship, the Flanchard, frequently handled slaving runs, a duty that Nyklas loved even though most other ship captains loathed it.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Indirect mention only)
- The Hutt Gambit (First mentioned)
- Scoundrels (Mentioned only)
- Scoundrels audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Journal: Hero for Hire (Indirect mention only)
- Chewbacca (2000) 2 (First appearance) (In flashback(s))
- Chewbacca (2000) 4 (Mentioned only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 17 (SOL2, Han Solo)
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- Star Wars: The Comics Companion
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First identified as Pter)
- "Star Wars: Revenge of the Quiz"—Star Wars Insider 148
- "Han Solo: Smuggler, Scoundrel and Reluctant Rebel!"—Star Wars Magazine 3 (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- The Essential Guide to Warfare, p. 140