- "The purella is a vicious beast who drags away her prey and traps it within the web of her lair. There is no escape from the web. The victim is consumed slowly."
The purella was a large predator native to the moon Yavin 8. It was a large, bristle-haired spider with glowing orange eyes. It had a red body, yellow saliva, and four barbed pincers. The purella trapped its prey in a thick, black web and would then slowly eat them. The purella preyed on the sentient Melodies, though it was also prey in turn to the giant bird-like avrils, which were on the top of the moon's food chain.
During their adventure within the mountains on the moon, Human Jedi trainees Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila faced one of these creatures during their attempts to find ancient Massassi carvings holding the key to breaking the curse of the Golden Globe and freeing the countless trapped Massassi souls within.
- Junior Jedi Knights: Lyric's World (First appearance)
- Junior Jedi Knights: Promises (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Betrayal (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin (First mentioned)
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia