- "When I was assigned to work on a prison barge for the Empire, we encountered this virus, or a close cousin, on what was believed to be an abandoned Star Destroyer. Apparently the virus had wiped out the crew of Destroyer. Once we sent a boarding party it quickly wiped out most of the prison ship."
- ―Zahara Cody
The Imperial prison barge Purge was in service to the Imperial Corrections Service around the time of 1 BBY. Warden Bissley Kloth was commander of the ship at this time. After the barge's engines became non-functional while in transit to a detainment moon, the crew was forced to send a salvage team aboard a nearby derelict Star Destroyer, Vector, in an attempt to scavenge repair parts. Some of the prisoners onboard during the journey were Aur Myss, Von Longo, his sons Trig and Kale, and the smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca.
The team obtained the necessary parts, but didn't encounter any crew members aboard the Star Destroyer. Shortly after returning to the Purge, however, most of the salvage team began to show symptoms of a then-unknown infectious disease, which proved to be uniformly fatal in the short term. Even though the Purge's chief medical officer, Zahara Cody, immediately quarantined the members of the team, it did not stop the spread of the virus. Almost all the beings aboard the Purge were quickly infected with the pathogen, overwhelming the barge's medbay. Less than twelve hours after the initial engine malfunction, only six beings were left alive on board the Purge: two Imperial officers, Dr. Cody and Captain of the Guard Jareth Sartoris, as well as four prisoners, the two Longo brothers, as well as Han Solo and Chewbacca. After being attacked by the mysteriously reanimated corpses of the barge's crew and prisoners, the survivors were forced to abandon the Purge and take refuge in the derelict Vector.
Following the incident, the Purge was recovered, and messages that were found aboard the barge were released to the public for academic purposes.
- Maul: Lockdown
- Death Troopers (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- Death Troopers: Recovered Messages from Purge
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- "Evil Empire!"—Star Wars Insider 149