- "Spice dealers connected to all the crime families on Coruscant."
"The Pykes. They will be the next to join us."
- ―Pre Vizsla and Darth Maul
The Pykes were species of sentient humanoids native to the planet Oba Diah. The species was distinguished by their unsettling appearance, having large heads and undersized faces. A notable group of Pykes was the Pyke Syndicate, the galaxy's preeminent suppliers of spice, a narcotic substance mined by slaves on the planet Kessel.
Biology and appearanceEdit
A sentient species, the Pykes were humanoid, although slimmer and taller than most humans. They had two long, lanky legs, and two arms that ended in three-fingered hands. Their heads were large and elongated, with a tapered skull and an undersized face, a feature which some other species found unsettling. Pykes had two narrow, almond-shaped eyes which could be magenta or blue in color. The species had two sexes, male and female.
Society and cultureEdit
Pykes hailed from Oba Diah, a terrestrial planet marked by obsidian cliffs. Visitors to Oba Diah viewed both the population and terrain as unwelcoming. The Pyke homeworld served as the headquarters of the Pyke Syndicate, a criminal organization which profited from distributing spice, an illicit substance harvested by slaves in the spice mines of the planet Kessel. To deliver spice to their customers, such as crime families on Coruscant, the Pyke Syndicate relied on smugglers and freighter captains to complete the dangerous Kessel Run.
- «If you follow me, I'm sure we can reach a…mutually beneficial arrangement.»
- ―Quay Tolsite[src]
During the Clone Wars, the Pyke Syndicate, led by Lom Pyke, joined the Shadow Collective, a criminal alliance formed by Sith Lord Darth Maul. The collective aimed to defeat the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems by uniting the galaxy's criminal underworld. Under Maul's guidance, the Pykes, the Black Sun cartel, and the Mandalorian extremists of Death Watch launched a takeover of Mandalore, which resulted in a planet-wide civil war.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Pykes were developed by George Lucas for the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The species debuted in the season five episode "Eminence," which first aired in 2013. The 2018 film Solo: A Star Wars Story features the Pyke character Quay Tolsite, marking a live-action debut for the species.
The design that became the Pykes originated in an April 2007 sketch of a Jedi character by David Hobbins, which was then selected by Lucas. In mid-2009, Douglas Wheatley refined their looks, and they were planned for inclusion in the cancelled game Star Wars: 1313.
- Darth Maul, Part II
- Darth Maul, Part III
- Darth Maul, Part IV
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- Dark Disciple
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part One (Mentioned only)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Two
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars revival
- Most Wanted (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 3 (Mentioned only)
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 3 (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 78 (PYK1-2, Pyke Syndicate)
- Entertainment Weekly's The Ultimate Guide to Han Solo (Picture only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious