The Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier, also known as the Quasar Fire-class bulk cruiser, or simply, the Imperial light carrier, was a starship line built by the SoroSuub Corporation. It saw service in the Galactic Empire's Imperial Navy, both as a starfighter carrier and a mobile base of operations.
The Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier was built by the SoroSuub Corporation, a Sullust-based shipwright corporation. Its triangular structure made it similar to other dagger-shaped Imperial spacecraft, including Star Destroyers. Unlike Star Destroyers, however the bridge was located at the frontal point and the hangars at the base. The structural integrity of the Quasar Fire spaceframe was questionable, being subject to micro-fractures while reverting from hyperspace to realspace. This much was alleged by a report issued by Mid-Rim Shipwrights.
The four hangar bays had space to accommodate up to 48 starfighters, however, some Imperial light carriers operated with as few as ten TIE/sa bombers and four TIE/ln space superiority starfighters. The Empire used such carriers in orbit of occupied planets, allowing for easy dispatch of fighters whenever necessary.
One Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier designated Imperial Cruiser 07200823 was used at the Carida Academy. During Han Solo's time as a cadet in the Academy, he and several other cadets were assigned to pilot the cruiser, transporting TIE fighter pilots for a training run.
The stolen ship became the flagship of Phoenix Cell of the early rebellion, rechristened the Phoenix Nest, housing their RZ-1 A-wing interceptors, and even being repainted to show its new affiliation. After coming under attack by Imperial forces, the starship fled with the rest of the rebel fleet to the planet Atollon. After the formation of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, it became part of the Alliance Fleet, with Colonel Anj Zavor recommending to Mon Mothma the procurement of more escort carriers from the Empire. However, the Phoenix Nest would be destroyed at the Battle of Atollon, sacrificed by its commander, Jun Sato. During the early rebellion, one Quasar Fire-class was destroyed by a pair of Sphyrna-class corvettes around the orbit of a celestial terrestrial body.
At least one Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier was present at the Rebel Alliance's Mako-Ta Space Docks. After the surviving ships escaped the Empire's attack on the base, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa used the cruiser-carrier to rescue Han Solo and R2-D2, who were trapped in a damaged X-wing. Once Solo was aboard, the cruiser-carrier escaped to the moon Corosi 7, but was too damaged to make more than one hyperspace jump, so the rebels used it to land on Nar Shaddaa and find passage aboard the Volt Cobra, the ship of Sana Starros.
Behind the scenesEdit
First appearing in the Star Wars Rebels episode "Homecoming," the Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier was first officially named in the StarWars.com Databank. The ship originated in the Star Wars Legends novel The Truce at Bakura, published in 1994 as the Quasar Fire-class bulk cruiser/escort carrier and was first depicted visually in the Legends video game Star Wars: Rebellion.
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 3
- Lost Stars webcomic
- Star Wars Rebels – "Homecoming" (First appearance)
- "The Gangsters of Galzez"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 20
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Forgotten Droid"
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Mystery of Chopper Base"
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- Star Wars 55: Hope Dies, Part VI
- TIE Fighter 1: The Shadow Falls, Part 1
- "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168
- Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Light Carrier Expansion Pack
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (First identified as Quasar Fire-class bulk cruiser)
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- (First identified as Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6
- ↑ Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Light Carrier Expansion Pack (Card: )
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Armada – Imperial Light Carrier Expansion Pack (Card: )
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Star Wars Rebels – "Homecoming"
- ↑ The Planets of Star Wars Battlefront. ea.com (November 5, 2015). Retrieved on November 5, 2015.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 3
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Forgotten Droid"
- ↑ Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ Star Wars 55: Hope Dies, Part VI
- ↑ "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168