The weapon would become the temporary lightsaber of Kenobi until 28 BBY when he constructed a second lightsaber identical to his first one that had been lost in the duel with Maul. Jinn's lightsaber would also be used by Anakin Skywalker temporarily for his training.
Creation and early usage
Qui-Gon Jinn constructed this lightsaber after losing his previous one on a mission to Telos IV, the homeworld of his former Padawan Xanatos. Jinn used the lightsaber in 44 BBY in a duel on Bandomeer against Xanatos twice, first alone, and then with the Jedi Initiate Obi-Wan Kenobi. After Xanatos fled the duel and the planet, Jinn took Kenobi as his third and final apprentice. On a mission to Phindar, Jinn continued to use the lightsaber as well as on the world of Gala where he used it in a duel against Lonnag Giba.
Jinn would also use this lightsaber on Melida/Daan and within the Jedi Temple, where he engaged in a lightsaber duel with Xanatos once again. On Telos, he used it against Xanatos once again, with the end result being Xanatos's suicide. Jinn wielded the lightsaber on the satellite of Centax-2 against Tarrence Chenati's rain of blaster bolts alongside his friend, Tahl.
Stark Hyperspace War
In that same year, Jinn used the lightsaber during the Stark Hyperspace War alongside Adi Gallia, Plo Koon, Tyvokka, Tholme, Quinlan Vos and Kenobi. In the ensuring years following the war, he used the lightsaber on Rutan, Frego, New Apsolon and Ord Mantell.
Yinchorri and Nebula Front crisises
In 33 BBY, Jinn used the weapon in the Yinchorri Uprising, participating in the Battle of Yinchorr alongside Kenobi, Mace Windu and Saesee Tiin. On a mission to the world of Asmeru with Kenobi, Vergere, Depa Billaba, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Saesee Tiin and Yaddle, Jinn used the lightsaber in a pitched battle against the Nebula Front, and later during the Eriadu Trade Summit.
In 32 BBY, this lightsaber was most notably used during the Invasion of Naboo. Jinn dueled against the Sith apprentice Darth Maul on Tatooine and later used the weapon in the Second Battle of Theed, where, with his apprentice, he dueled Darth Maul once more, resulting in his own death. After Jinn was impaled by Maul's lightsaber, Kenobi and Maul fought one-on-one. When Kenobi lost his own lightsaber, he used the force to call Jinn's saber, using it to bisect Maul. After Kenobi defeated Maul and left him for dead, Jinn died.
Kenobi would be without a weapon following the duel on Naboo, as his own was destroyed. As a result of this, Kenobi took possession of his master's lightsaber, using it on Zonama Sekot in 29 BBY. Around 28 BBY, Kenobi discontinued using it as he had constructed a new lightsaber for himself.
While Jinn was identified as a Jedi Guardian in the Order, he did not use the traditional blue focusing crystals that Guardians typically used in their sabers and instead utilized a set of green focusing crystals that were typically used in the sabers of Jedi Consulars. The hilt had a highly elaborate design, using multiple small power cells to create a scalloped handgrip. It also used microscopic circuitry to govern the nature of the blade.
Behind the scenes
- "Before we started shooting, George showed up with a huge gilded box. In it were lightsabers, and he asked me to pick one. I chose one, and he said, 'That's yours now.' It was quite a moment. And I did get to keep it—it was mounted for me at the end of the film. I was thrilled."
- ―Liam Neeson
- LEGO Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- Star Wars Episode I: Watch Out, Jar Jar!
- Star Wars Episode I: I Am a Jedi
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed video game (As a playable model only)
- Star Wars: Visions of the Blade
- Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars Trading Card Game
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game
- Star Wars Episode I Who's Who: A Pocket Guide to the Characters of The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 13 (JIN3-6, Qui-Gon Jinn)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 28 (JIN7-10, Qui-Gon Jinn)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 35 (JIN1-2, Qui-Gon Jinn)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 48 (LIG7-8, Qui-Gon's Lightsaber)
- Star Wars Fandex Deluxe Edition
- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: The Expanded Visual Dictionary
- Battle for Naboo (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice (Picture only)
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Special Edition (Picture only)
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force (Picture only)
- The Essential Atlas (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded (Picture only)
- The Essential Reader's Companion (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Qui-Gon Jinn (★★★★★)) (Picture only)