The R-H029 sifter droid was a model of gray-colored, fifth-degree sifter droid equipped with a sand vacuum-head. It stood taller than a fully grown human and moved about on four ambulatory struts.
One such droid worked at the Resistance base on the planet D'Qar during the Resistance's conflict with the First Order. In the year 34 ABY, it was set up close to the landing site of the YT-1300 light freighter known as the Millennium Falcon during the final preparation for the Resistance's attack on the First Order's Starkiller Base superweapon.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "Neil Scanlan had invited some stilt walkers to our workshop, just to show us what they could do, with the idea that we could dress them up as creatures or droids."
- ―Luke Fisher talks about R-H029 at the Creature Design Panel
An R-H029 sifter droid first appeared in the 2015 sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The droid was not identified in the film itself but received a name in Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, a reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo and released in conjunction with the film.
The R-H029 was originally designed to be a lightweight costume that appeared on the planet Jakku, and was inspired by a stilt walker with four extendable crutches that creature creative supervisor Neal Scanlan brought into the creature design workshop. Concept art of the droid was drawn by senior sculptor Luke Fisher on November 27, 2013.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as R-H029 sifter droid)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition