R2-BHD, also known as Tooby, was an R2 series astromech droid who served the Alliance to Restore the Republic. By the year 0 BBY, the droid worked with the Alliance Fleet's Gold Squadron, and most commonly flew with the squadron's leader Jon Vander. It was present in the Alliance's headquarters on the moon Yavin 4 shortly before Gold Squadron participated in the Battle of Scarif.
Biography[edit | edit source]
R2-BHD was an R2 series astromech droid that served the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the reign of the Galactic Empire. By the year 0 BBY, the droid had served the Alliance for years and was assigned to the Alliance Fleet's Gold Squadron, and rotated through the squadron's pilots, mostly commonly being assigned to Gold Leader Jon Vander and his Y-wing starfighter Gold One. R2-BHD also was responsible for performing diagnostics to keep the squadron's Y-wing starfighters ready for battle.
R2-BHD was present in a hangar in the Great Temple on Yavin 4 when the Rebel Alliance Intelligence Service officer Cassian Jeron Andor led the newly recruited Jyn Erso through it enroute to a UT-60D U-wing starfighter/support craft outside the temple that the pair would fly to the planet Jedha. Shortly afterwards, Gold Squadron took part in a battle against the Empire above the planet Scarif. Jon Vander survived the battle, but later flew against the Empire at the Battle of Yavin, where he died.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
R2-BHD was a loyal and attentive droid and found the grouchy personality of other droids like D4-R4B illogical. It had silver colored plates with yellow accents that were unadorned, that made it look unfinished. It had black sensors. Like all R-series astromechs it was manufactured by Industrial Automaton, and stood 1.09 meters tall. R2-BHD cranial access ports that could be opened up when in repair configuration. It also had an electro-port access tool equipped behind a panel on its front.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
R2-BHD was created for the stand-alone film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which was released on December 16, 2016. The character was revealed prior to the film in the form of a figure released by Disney in 2015 as part of a set with three other astromechs from Rogue One as part of the Star Wars: Droid Factory toy line.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Ultimate Collector's Series (Set: 75181 Y-wing Starfighter)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 79 (Droid Directory: Droids of Yavin 4)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Galactic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 42 (Starfighter Aces: Jon 'Dutch' Vander – Two Years on Yavin)
- Star Wars Day-at-a-Time Calendar 2021