R2-F2 was an R2-series astromech droid manufactured by Industrial Automaton that served in the Alliance to Restore the Republic, though it was suspected of being a double agent. The astromech droid was assigned to Biggs Darklighter, who flew as Red Three during the Battle of Yavin. Both Darklighter and R2-F2 were killed when their T-65B X-wing starfighter was shot down by Darth Vader.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
R2-F2 first appeared, albeit unidentified, in the 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. It was first identified in the Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game Core Set, which was first released at GenCon Indy on August 17, 2012.
The 1999 reference book Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive, written by Stephen J. Sansweet, conflated Biggs Darklighter's then-unidentified astromech droid with R2-Q2, an identical Imperial astromech droid that appeared on the Tantive IV earlier in A New Hope. This error was repeated by the Star Wars: The Saga Collection toyline.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Empire 15: Darklighter, Part 4
- Rebellion 1: My Brother, My Enemy, Part 1 (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars 6: Is This the Final Chapter?
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- (as R2-Q2)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Picture only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Core Set (Card: "R2-F2") (First identified as R2-F2)