R2-M5 was an R2 series astromech droid with red, white, and silver plating and a black sensor. Like all R2 astromech droids, R2-M5 was manufactured by Industrial Automaton and stood ninety-six centimeters tall. The droid served Royal Security Forces of the planet Naboo during the reign of Queen Padmé Amidala. After the Trade Federation invaded Naboo and captured its capital Theed, R2-M5 was in the Theed Hangar under guard by B1 battle droids when Amidala and her allies attacked the battle droids in order to retake the hangar. Amidala's forces successfully managed to destroy the Trade Federation droids, allowing the pilots of Bravo Flight and their astromechs to board their N-1 starfighter and launch for battle against the Trade Federation forces blockading their planet. The Trade Federation were ultimately defeated and driven off Naboo.
Behind the scenesEdit
R2-M5 first appeared in the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. The droid was first identified in canon in the 2017 reference book Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded, which was written by Cole Horton, Adam Bray and Michael Kogge. The name was originally revealed in Star Wars Legends in the "Astromech Droid Pack Series 2" set of figures released by Hasbro Inc. in 2006.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (First identified as R2-M5)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace shows that R2-M5 is an astromech droid, which are second class droids according to Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia.