R2-X2 was a green and white R2 series astromech droid that served in the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire. In 0 BBY, it was in the Alliance's headquarters within the Great Temple on the moon of Yavin 4 and attended a briefing by General Jan Dodonna on the Alliance's plans to attack the Imperial Death Star superweapon. R2-X2 was then later loaded into the astromech socket of an T-65B X-wing starfighter in the temple's hangar bay which soon launch as part of Red Squadron to take on the Death Star. It flew with Theron Nett as Red Ten but both were killed when their X-wing starfighter was shot down.
Behind the scenesEdit
R2-X2 first appeared in the 1977 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The droid was then first identified on a card in the "Premiere Limited" set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game released in 1995. The name was then first used in canon by the video game Disney Infinity 3.0 when it was released on August 30, 2015. Despite the game's non-canon status, Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo confirmed on Twitter that the names it uses for film characters are considered canon.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Disney Infinity 3.0 (First identified as R2-X2)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope that R2-X2 is an R2 series astromech droid, which are part of the R-series line and manufactured by Industrial Automaton according to Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope establishes that R2-X2 is an astromech droid, which are second class droids according to Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia.
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Disney Infinity 3.0
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: R2-X2)
- ↑ screenshot) (