Like other R3 droids manufactured by Industrial Automaton, R3-A2 was designed for high tech work on military installations. The clear plastex dome showed off a newly-updated Intellex V computer system, which contained detailed statistics on thousands of military starships. R3-A2 could hold up to 5 hyperspace jumps in active memory, and could also coordinate piloting coordinates and approach angles during combat. His eye was a round kind unlike most R3 units. However, he can be used in the back of X-wing starfighters, plotting coordinates, and talking with the pilot. R3-A2 can also speak almost as many languages as C-3PO.
- Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary (Picture only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: R3-A2 (Arthree-Aytoo)) (backup link) (First identified as R3-A2)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (AST3, Astromech Droids) (Picture only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Rebel Transport Expansion Pack (Card: R3-A2)
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 157