R3-S1, nicknamed "Threece," was an R3-series astromech droid with feminine programming that served as part of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. By 0 BBY, she was recognized as chief of the astromech droid pool in the rebel headquarters on the moon Yavin 4, where she was responsible for the upkeep of the base's equipment rather than being assigned to a starfighter. R3-S1 was vain and argumentative, as well as inordinately proud of her overclocked Intellex V processor.
The R3-series astromech droid designated R3-S1 and nicknamed "Threece" served the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the reign of the Galactic Empire. She was stationed at the headquarters of the Alliance's Massassi Group in the Great Temple on the moon Yavin 4. Instead of being assigned to a starfighter, she was employed in the upkeep of technology throughout the base, making sure it was up to date and in prime condition. R3-S1 eventually became recognized as the chief of the astromech pool there.
In the year 0 BBY, R3-S1 was present in a hangar of the temple after Alliance High Command met to discuss attacking the Empire's forces on the planet Scarif in order to obtain plans to the Death Star superweapon. The meeting ended with a decision not to launch an attack, but the recently recruited rebel Jyn Erso assembled a group of rebels willing to follow her to Scarif against the orders of Alliance Command. Erso and Captain Cassian Andor led the group through the hangar and past R3-S1 before boarding the stolen Zeta-class cargo shuttle SW-0608 and taking off to start the Battle of Scarif.
R3-S1 had feminine programming and a black sensor. She was built with silver plating, apart from her plastex cranial dome, which was transparent with orange markings. The astromech was equipped with an overclocked Intellex V processor and a holoprojector built into her dome.
R3-S1 excelled at organization, which earned her recognition as head of the astromech pool. At some point she picked up a vain programming flutter that resulted in her not working well with others and being competitive to a fault. The droid was also argumentative and inordinately proud of her overclocked processor. Despite this, she was highly valued by the Alliance. R3-S1 stood 1.09 meters tall and, like all R-series astromechs, was manufactured by Industrial Automaton.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "This is currently R3-BHD. Normally, he'd be R2-BHD with a silver dome, but today we sorted out for the clear dome. So he's an R3."
- ―Brad Oakley
R3-S1 was created for the 2016 Anthology film, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. She first received a designation simultaneously in the reference books Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide by Pablo Hidalgo, Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission by Jason Fry, and Star Wars: Rogue One: Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia by Emma Grange and Shari Last, which were all released alongside the film.
R3-S1 was made by R2 Builder Brad Oakley and used the same body and limbs as the astromech R2-BHD, with the R2 unit's silver dome being swapped out for R3-S1's transparent one. Because of this, R3-S1 was known as R3-BHD on set. Prior to the shooting of the hangar scene where R3-S1 appears, a dry run for the droid's movements were carried out and a route that would not get in anyone's way was planned.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission (First identified as R3-S1, simultaneous with Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide and Star Wars: Rogue One: Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Threece)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia
- LEGO Star Wars Rogue One (Set: 75172 Y-Wing Starfighter) (as Rebel Astromech Droid)
- (as R3-BHD)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia establishes that R3-series astromech droids are part of the R-series, which Ultimate Star Wars states is produced by Industrial Automaton. As Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide establishes that R3-S1 is an R3-series astromech droid, she must be manufactured by Industrial Automaton.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide establishes that R3-S1 is an astromech droid, which is a second class droid, according to Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which includes R3-S1's service on Yavin 4, to 0 BBY.
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia