R4-G9 was an astromech droid that was assigned to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Kenobi replaced the droid R4-P17 with this droid when she was destroyed by buzz droids in the Battle of Coruscant and traveled with it to Utapau for the Battle of Utapau. Obi-Wan sent R4-G9 back alone in his interceptor to the Vigilance to report to Commander Cody.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
In July 2003, George Lucas decided to let subscribers of the StarWars.com Hyperspace feature determine the look of a new astromech droid to appear in the upcoming 2005 movie Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Four color schemes were proposed. The first was a striped design, with a metallic gray blue pattern along a pewter dome. The second color scheme featured a metallic camouflage green eye and selected panels, aluminum panels, and a pewter dome. The third design had an embossed circuitry look with raised surface detail on a gunmetal gray head. The last design was very metallic, featuring copper panels on a bronze dome. Ultimately, the fourth color scheme was chosen, and went on to appear in Revenge of the Sith.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as R4-G9)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Highlights of the Saga: Intrigue on Utapau)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition