R4-G9 was an astromech droid that was assigned to Obi-Wan Kenobi. Kenobi replaced the droid R4-P17 with this droid when she was destroyed by buzz droids in the Battle of Coruscant and traveled with it to Utapau for the Battle of Utapau. Obi-Wan sent R4-G9 back alone in his interceptor to the Vigilance to report to Commander Cody.
Behind the scenes
In July 2003, George Lucas decided to let subscribers of the StarWars.com Hyperspace feature determine the look of a new astromech droid to appear in the upcoming 2005 movie Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. Four color schemes were proposed. The first was a striped design, with a metallic gray blue pattern along a pewter dome. The second color scheme featured a metallic camouflage green eye and selected panels, aluminum panels, and a pewter dome. The third design had an embossed circuitry look with raised surface detail on a gunmetal gray head. The last design was very metallic, featuring copper panels on a bronze dome. Ultimately, the fourth color scheme was chosen, and went on to appear in Revenge of the Sith.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as R4-G9)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Highlights of the Saga: Intrigue on Utapau)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 48 (Droid Directory: Jedi Droids – Astromechs)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- "Republic, Rebel, and Resistance Starfighters" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Picture only)
- "BB-8 and Other Astromech Droids" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy