R5-A2 was an R5 series astromech droid with orange and white paneling. Like all R5 units it stood 97 centimeters tall and was manufactured by Industrial Automaton. In 0 BBY, it was present in the spaceport of Mos Eisley on the planet Tatooine, where it rolled past a group of Imperial stormtroopers questioning the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi and the moisture farmer Luke Skywalker while they sat in a X-34 landspeeder.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
R5-A2 first appeared in the 1977 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. In the new Star Wars canon, the droid was first identified in the online description for the 2018 LEGO set "Sandcrawler 75220", which depicted R5-A2 as being on board the Jawa sandcrawler in A New Hope, something not depicted in the film. The name originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was first used on a card in the 1996 "A New Hope Limited" expansion released for the Star Wars Customizable Card Game.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 8 (Droid Directory: Imperial Mark IV Sentry Droid) (Picture only)
- (First identified as R5-A2)
- Classic Star Wars (Set: 75220 Sandcrawler)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded states that all R5 units are manufactured by Industrial Automaton and stand ninety-seven centimeters tall. As R5-A2 is shown to be an R5 unit in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, it must share these characteristics.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which includes R5-A2's appearance, to 0 BBY.
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – A New Hope Limited (Card: R5-A2)