R5-K6 was an R5-series astromech droid that was built by Industrial Automaton and belonged to Garven Dreis, the leader of the Rebel Alliance's Red Squadron, an X-wing starfighter squadron that participated in the assault on the first Death Star at the Battle of Yavin. R5-K6 previously served at the Dantooine Rebel base. He was destroyed along with Dreis's X-wing when it was shot down by Darth Vader.
Behind the scenes
Often given a fanon designation, Hasbro made one such name canon when it identified the droid belonging to Garven Dreis as R5-K6 in a preview of its 2009 releases. On February 1, 2009, Hasbro released the Scramble on Yavin Battle Pack as part of the Star Wars: The Legacy Collection action figure sets.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Rebel Leader Pack (Card: Red Leader in Red 1) (backup link)
- (First identified as R5-K6)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: Astromech Droid Upgrade)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – X-Wing Expansion Pack (Card: R5-K6)