R6-LE5, also known as "Leefive," was a feminine R6 astromech droid that served voluntarily in the Resistance in its base on the moon Ajan Kloss. During the war between the Resistance and the First Order, R6-LE5 and her counterpart R2-SHP carried out routine maintenance on the CR90 corvette Tantive IV while it was used as the base's command hub. In 35 ABY, R6-LE5 attended a meeting at the base where Generals Poe Dameron and Finn laid out their plan for the Battle of Exegol.
The feminine R6 astromech droid known as R6-LE5 or "Leefive" served in the Resistance during its war against the First Order. Counterpart to her "sibling" R2-SHP, R6-LE5 was a freed droid who served no master. The two carried out routine repairs and maintenance on the CR90 corvette Tantive IV while it acted as the command hub for the Resistance base on the moon Ajan Kloss, ensuring the starship continued to function.
In 35 ABY, R6-LE5 attended a meeting held under the corvette in the base where generals Poe Dameron and Finn laid out their plan for attacking the forces of the Final Order and Sith Eternal on the planet Exegol. The Resistance forces then mobilized and successfully defeated their foes.
R6-LE5 was less gregarious than R2-SHP and defined her service to the Resistance as strictly voluntary, although she followed rank hierarchy as dictated by Resistance protocols. She had blue plating and a black sensor and was equipped with an Intellex VIII computer system housed in her dome. As an R-series droid, R6-LE5 was manufactured by Industrial Automaton.
Behind the scenes
R6-LE5 was created for the sequel trilogy film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, released in December 2019. The droid was revealed beforehand in a Star Wars: Droid Factory pack of figures tied into the film and released by The Walt Disney Company in November 2019. The droid was then identified as "Leefive" in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary, a reference book written by Pablo Hidalgo and released alongside the film.
Only R6-LE5's dome was made for the film; the full droid was created by placing R6-LE5's on R2-SHP's body for additional scenes. The dome is made of hand-painted resin and styrene with some metal adornments and elements that can illuminate and flash. The prop was intentionally tarnished in order to be in keeping with director George Lucas's "used future" aesthetic and also suffered additional wear from use during filming, requiring repair to the exterior. The dimensions of the dome are 4.65 centimeters by 46.5 centimeters by 34 centimeters (18.25 inches by 18.25 inches by 13.5 inches). The droid's dome sold at auction for $10,000 in 2021.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as "Leefive")
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary establishes that R6-LE5 is an R-series astromech, which are manufactured by Industrial Automaton according to Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know.
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary states that the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker occur thirty-five years after the Battle of Yavin. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the battle to 0 BBY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker must occur in 35 ABY.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- "The Jedi Redeemed" – Star Wars Insider 196